Honored Contributor

Re: Are Any of Your Spring Bulbs Sprouting?

Some of my daffodils are up a half inch to an inch here in south Jersey.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Trusted Contributor

I'm on Long Island and we had a warm day (almost 70 degrees!) here yesterday. 

I went outside to do some investigating and I saw that my Hellebores and day lilies are starting to come up. We also seem to have some darker green patches of grass and weeds sprouting.  It's all very worriesome to me.  I have never seen that here in January before.  My Hellebores usually come up in mid-late February.  I think the Lilies are in March or April.

Honored Contributor

Some of my tougher plants (hollyhocks and lupines) are looking nice and green so far, but they'll survive when things turn bad again with no trouble. I think next week we're back into the twenties for highs for a while with some chance of snow most of the time, but they'll handle it just fine. Plants are pretty tough little things. These warmer sunny days give them a chance to use their chlorophyll to build a bit of extra energy to help them through the rest of winter. It's kind of how we'll sneak out between snowstorms to restock our cupboards, plants do that same sort of restocking on warmer sunny days if they've got any foliage that's still green. I suspect these mid-winter warmer spells are actually beneficial to the plants. (At least those with anything green above ground.) Rather than having to rely on just stored energy they can add more energy to their stockpile.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

yes--tiny tete-de-tete daffodils and hyacinths too---nice to see

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

My Canna lillies are coming up.  It has been unusually warm here in central NC for the month of January (in the high 60's to low 70's), but today it's freezing here and the high on Monday is going to be 38 degrees.  I'm in the Triad area of NC (Greensboro, Winston Salem, High Point). 

They're about 2 inches out of the ground.  I covered them last Thursday with pine needles and hope they won't be ruined for the spring and summer.

Respected Contributor

Although I live in Florida, my Easter Lilies usually come up in April or May...but they're already up and overcrowding their pots.  I wonder if they'll bloom twice??  Been a very warm winter here.  We usually cool down from December through March...not this year.  But not complaining...40's-50's at night, gorgeous sunny days in upper 60's to 70's.  I started all my spring gardening and Rose's are pruned and starting to sprout new canes.  Great outdoor weather!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, some of my daffodils are blooming I noticed this morning. This is definitely earlier than normal.  Poor things. 

Honored Contributor

My daffodils are emerging from the ground and are about an inch visible. This is normal for us.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Yes!  we had a warm December, and my daffodils came up about 3-4 inches.  Then, in January, they were covered in snow.   It was warm again last week and those same daffs are up about 2 inches this morning.    Poor things are really confused!   But they don't give up.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

It's been warm in VA so there are about four daffodils just starting to bloom. With today's drenching rain and tomorrow's forecasted winds they may not survive!