Esteemed Contributor

Are some shrubs more susceptible than others?  Can you really get rid of them?  I had some on a ninebark (Amber) last year.  I got them early and removed the branches affected.  I moved the shrub.  This year they came back (maybe they never left?).  I was much more worried about my Azaleas which neighbored the ninebark than the ninebark so I tossed it.

Is a soap and water spray effective?  TIA.  LM

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Ladybugs

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom  This is what our master gardener always recommends:

A strong spray of water from a hose will knock many of the aphids off the plant, and they won’t be able to return. It also rinses off some of the honeydew. Spray the plant every day until the plant is aphid free -

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Honored Contributor

Yes, some shrubs I've noticed are aphid magnets and some are aphid free.

I use ladybugs to get rid of aphids.

I noticed that aphids do not go near my 'Double Knockout' rose but do go near other roses. Other Master Gardeners have said similar that the 'Knockouts' do not attract aphids.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor
I could never knock them off with water without damaging the plant. I usually just squish aphids and greenfly with my fingers.
I know. 'Ewww!'
My mom would squish certain types (not ALL!) of bugs with her bare fingers and it'd creep me out . .
now I do it too, and only spray for the worst cases.
Ladybugs and their offspring feed on aphids.
Honored Contributor

You can make a spray using dishwashing soap to kill aphids

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

You can make a spray using dishwashing soap to kill aphids

Yes, you can but try to avoid the ones with colored dye in them. It might be worth the money to buy a bottle of insecticidal soap.

Honored Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@Lilysmom  This is what our master gardener always recommends:

A strong spray of water from a hose will knock many of the aphids off the plant, and they won’t be able to return. It also rinses off some of the honeydew. Spray the plant every day until the plant is aphid free -

That advice is what I typically use if things are out of control, but for lesser issues I find ladybugs will find the aphids, lay eggs nearby, and then the ladybug larvae will go on a feeding frenzy and devour every aphid in sight. If you're not familiar with ladybug larvae, Google them and take a look at the picture. If you find one or more of those guys/gals on or around your plant, you'll have no more aphids in the very near future. They are aphid eating machines.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Regular Contributor

Many years ago I brought my tropical hibiscus outside  in the spring and found it swarming with these little really ugly bugs that looked like a mini prehistoric creature.  Didn't know what the heck they were.  Gave the plant a shot of insect spray and later  looked them up on internet and found out they were ladybug larvae.  I actually almost started to cry!  I know better now. 

I, too, usually squish the aphids between my fingers unless there is alot.  In that case I do the dishsoap and water but also put in a touch of veggie oil so it will have some staying power and won't wash off right away.

No, my many Knock Outs have never had aphids either.

Honored Contributor

File these pictures away for future reference. 

Ladybug eggs are usually underneath leaves so look carefully. They are small, photo is enlarged for ID purposes.

Ladybug larvae: again enlarged for ID purposes