Honored Contributor

Re: Anything Blooming In Your Yard?

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

Not yet.  But coming up. l I live in the woods, acid soil.  AND EVERYTHING I PLANT THE DEER EAT.  I am wondering about dafodils... if they like them.  They  eat my rose bushes, lower limps off of trees, hosta, flowers, and just about everything I plant.  

Deer LOVE tulip 🌷 salad! I have had excellent luck with daffodils/jonquils.

On Saturday I noticed lots of plants in my front yard that MAY be crocuses. Is there anything else that would bloom as early as this in Northern NJ?

Honored Contributor

I'm in Missouri, it's way too early for flowers to be blooming, be but I have daffodils blooming. Also have daylillies up a few inches out of the ground, iris's up and all manner of green coming up. Hope it all doesn't freeze.

"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

@violann wrote:

@bonnielu wrote:

Not yet.  But coming up. l I live in the woods, acid soil.  AND EVERYTHING I PLANT THE DEER EAT.  I am wondering about dafodils... if they like them.  They  eat my rose bushes, lower limps off of trees, hosta, flowers, and just about everything I plant.  

Deer LOVE tulip 🌷 salad! I have had excellent luck with daffodils/jonquils.

On Saturday I noticed lots of plants in my front yard that MAY be crocuses. Is there anything else that would bloom as early as this in Northern NJ?

Snowdrops, winter aconite and Puschkinia (a relative of Squill).

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:

I'm in Missouri, it's way too early for flowers to be blooming, be but I have daffodils blooming. Also have daylillies up a few inches out of the ground, iris's up and all manner of green coming up. Hope it all doesn't freeze.

Some of my daylily foliage is emerging from the ground here too due to the warmer run of weather we have had and they are in sunnier areas too. 

Daffodils could be blooming (early blooming varieties) but the big worry is if the buds are swollen and about to open and you get a freeze that could damage the opening buds.

It's rare for foliage to be frost burned on many perennials. But if it happens, just cut back the damaged parts and the plant will produce more foliage.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Well, I cheated a bit, but I now also have a Hot Lips Sage blooming.

My rescue Boston (male) killed one I had ... no matter how much water I poured on it after he urinated on it. I've now got the plants in the back yard fenced from the dogs and just replaced the dead sage with a new one (in bloom) from a local nursery.

Zach is doing much better with where he urinates ... but he's still a work in progress ... so I'll keep the garden fencing up until he knows to leave the plants alone.

Respected Contributor

@violann wrote:

I'm in Westchester County, NY and have and had snowdrops and crocus blooming.  The snowdrops survived last weekend's frigid temperatures but the blooming crocus died.  It's going to be over 60 tomorrow so more than likely more crocus will open.  They say there will be another cold front and snow this weekend.

Honored Contributor

Everything is blooming right now because my home is in Fl. 

We currently have a tomato plant that is 7 ft tall and filled with blooms and green tomatos.Can't wait to taste them.

Esteemed Contributor

We've seen lots of blooms throughout the neighborhood over the past few weeks.  Sure looks like spring!  Saucer magnolias, forsythias, azaleas, daffodils, crab apples, ....and the leaves are coming back onto most of the trees and hydrangeas.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm at the Jersey Shore and have a lot of miniature daffodils, as well as a handful of regular daffodils, blooming.  Tomorrow it's going to snow, then be bitter cold all weekend.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

My white orchid tree is covered with blooms.  So pretty but the tree is not pretty to me.

Orchid tree.jpg

Our neighbor had finished eating the tomatoes off one plant and the other one is ripening.  We can grow tomatoes year round here.