Honored Contributor

Re: Anything Blooming In Your Yard?

@sfnative wrote:

We have a small front yard, due to our location amongst the other houses, but now have 102 daffodils blooming.  After visitng Keukenhof some years ago, wanted to create a grape hyacinth river.  So, the "river" got planted, which is bounded by river rock, and is now blooming and looking so pretty.  Tulips will arrive later.

2 weeks ago, we had all of the old bushes, etc., except the Japanese Maple, removed from our backyard.  The former owners had let everything go wild.  It's so nice to just have a blank canvas now.  In a few weeks, a new fence will be installed.   I'm hemming and hawing over whether to stain the new fence or cover it with bamboo on the inside, which I love.  There are plans to create Japanese garden features in our small back yard, so am leaning toward the bamboo.

Be careful about what bamboo you use -- clumping is supposedly less invasive than the runners below ground type which is invasive. Check with local town ordinances as many towns are putting in bans on this plant due to its invasiveness. 

Bamboo will go anywhere it can, so think long and hard about using this plant and it is very difficult to get rid of, once it's planted. 

Maybe use some other type of plants like non seeding grasses for that flowy breezy effect.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Just Daffs so far. It's been raining non-stop for months, so the flower beds are just a giant mud bucket with weeds.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

Was outside yesterday and still only the hellebros and now the bergenia are booming along with a white rhododendron (always the first to bloom).  The daffodils are getting taller but they have a while to go.  I discovered a hydrangea that I thought was dead is putting out green at the base.  I think I will cut all the long dead branches off and see what happens.  

Super Contributor

My Gingersnap rose trees are both blooming now. I also have an Agastache Coronado Red and a May Night Salvia blooming.

I bought a Blue Passion Vine and a Trumpet Vine just over a week ago. The Passion Vine has 3 buds on it. This is my first one so I can't wait to see the blooms on it. The trumpet vine has practically doubled in size, but no signs of buds yet.

Occasional Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yes, Roberta's  gerber daisies!  Yellow Carolina jasmine, roses, and butterfly irises, too.

Respected Contributor

still very cold here at night, but my roses and a lot of other flowers from last year are starting to bloom

Respected Contributor

Roses, Lemon and lime trees, pink Jasmine...