Frequent Contributor

Re: Anything Blooming In Your Yard?

My ivy geraniums, begonias and mini roses are all in full bloom.

Esteemed Contributor

Not yet.  But coming up. l I live in the woods, acid soil.  AND EVERYTHING I PLANT THE DEER EAT.  I am wondering about dafodils... if they like them.  They  eat my rose bushes, lower limps off of trees, hosta, flowers, and just about everything I plant.  

Honored Contributor

@bonnielu wrote:

Not yet.  But coming up. l I live in the woods, acid soil.  AND EVERYTHING I PLANT THE DEER EAT.  I am wondering about dafodils... if they like them.  They  eat my rose bushes, lower limps off of trees, hosta, flowers, and just about everything I plant.  

They do not eat daffodils as they are poisonous to them. If you love tulips, plant them in among your daffodils.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

My Lovely Parma Violets! 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Esteemed Contributor

Crocus and daffodils.  Funny, I live in the wilds and the deer don't eat my stuff.

Now I say that, they will.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

@JustJazzmom  I forgot to add... the tulips.  I planted 250 bulbs.  Guess what I saw one morning. A rabbit family was feasting.  I cannot win this one.  A year or two this happened and the tulips were still in stem... never did get to see them bloom,  not a one of them.  So much fun around here!

Esteemed Contributor

Hyacinths, grape hyacinths, daffodils and some of our fruit trees are blooming. Those will be very pretty in a week or so, if we don't have bad weather to ruin it.

I love this time of year too, and I have enjoyed reading what you all have blooming.

Honored Contributor

NJ shore, last week before our present cold snap, I had snowdrops and crocus blooming profusely and far too early.  My daffodils were 2"- 3".  I have not been out the last 2 freezing days so do not know how the blooms and plants weathered.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@bonnielu wrote:

@JustJazzmom  I forgot to add... the tulips.  I planted 250 bulbs.  Guess what I saw one morning. A rabbit family was feasting.  I cannot win this one.  A year or two this happened and the tulips were still in stem... never did get to see them bloom,  not a one of them.  So much fun around here!

@bonnielu

I have a squirrel and rabbit problem.  I plant three large pots on my patio every year with tulips.  I take the annuals out and part of the soil, plant the tulip bulbs, put chicken wire over them and refill potting soil.  This stops the squirrels from digging up the bulbs and the tulips are too high for the rabbits to get them.  In the spring I pull out the tulips and chicken wire and replant the pots with annuals.  I treat the tulips as annuals and buy new ones every fall - so many colors to chose from!

Esteemed Contributor

OMG you guys.  It is soooo cold here in Nova Scotia this weekend.  We lost a lot of snow last week with mild temps.  Back in the deep freeze this weekend but warming up this coming week.  

There are small lakes of water in the lake which is still ice covered.  Breakup will come soon now especially if we get some high winds.

My herons are not covered in snow anymore but there are still two foot snowbanks in places in the yard.  LM