Valued Contributor

Anyone plant the Roberta's Lavendar Phenomenal?

I have a lot of experience gardening and am watching 4 of the 6 Roberta's Gardens Lavender Phenomenal die in my garden. Two look great. They have grown to a good size and maybe it is too hot and dry here but the vincas all around the dying lavendar look fabulous. Been watering more and they aren't coming back to life. They were considered good for my area, I planted properly, and they have gone from tiny babies to about 18 inches tall already since Spring 2020. I am an old horticulturist and just wondering if others have this problem? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone plant the Roberta's Lavendar Phenomenal?

[ Edited ]

Consider yourself lucky two survived.  

Didn't have success with Roberta's or Cottage Farms plants first and replacement plants.  I'm not a horticulturist, but do have a green thumb.

Never had a failure from any of the online websites who know how to send healthy plants.  They don't send newborns that just popped out of the ground, had been transplanted, and took 7 days to get to me.  Too much of a shock for these little babies.  They also didn't send bare roots that are full of white mold when I received them. 

My latest order from one of those online sources, 3 bare root peonies, are growing beautifully.  

I offered a few suggestions as to why I thought the plants died.  All I was told was second replacements were not available even though I knew that and didn't ask for another replacement.  

Respected Contributor

I had never bought any lavender plants until this year. I put four plants in a container on the patio the first week of June and pretty much have done very little else other than some water couple times a week. These plants have done very well. I have been surprised because I don't have a green thumb, and have never had any experience with lavender. 

Valued Contributor

My Roberta's Phenomenal Lavender plants were not phenomenal.  I ordered a set of 3.  They looked good on arrival and I followed directions, placing them in a pretty ideal spot with full sunshine.  We had frequent rain so they never dried out.  However, they never appeared to grow, or if they did, very little.  Finally today I checked on them and all three were dead.  We have had lots of hot weather too so not sure what the problem was.  Very disappointed.  Since I paid 30 plus dollars for these I will see if I can get a replacement from Roberta's.  I think next season I will try growing them in containers.  Maybe that would help.  Did others have better luck than me this season?  If yes what was your weather like?  Where did you plant them?  Trying to figure out what I did wrong.

Thanks in advance!