Honored Contributor

Anyone here grow organic vegetables/herbs/fruit?

I'm trying to find pots and/or planters that are made with non toxic materials to plant my vegetables in.

Years ago I used these burlap bag type planters, they were more like sacks with handles on them.  But the dirt dried out too easily, the plants still became root bound and all around they were a fail.

I just don't want to plop my tomato, pepper and cucumber plants in plastic containers.

Has anyone found anything that would work?  I can't plant in the ground, has to be contained and I'll have to keep it up high off ground.

Don't want to have to build anything out of wood, either.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Anyone here grow organic vegetables/herbs/fruit?

You should be able to get a lot of informaiton and a good selection of pots from sites contained in the following link:

duckduckgo.com/?q=safe+pots+for+growing+organic+vegetables&t=h_&ia=web

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Respected Contributor

Have you heard of the Aerogarden ?  My daughter has 3 and has grown tomatoes and numerous veggies. I decided to give it a try and bought 2 aerogardens from Amazon. I have 3 grape tomatoe plants growing and I have grown iceberg lettuce, basil, thyme etc. I haven't figured out how to post a picture here but it's pretty simple and the gardens come with lights, seeds, pods and plant food.  Pretty cool !     

Esteemed Contributor

@Lucky Charm  I've always planted my patio tomato plants in terracotta pots. I'm not sure if they are certified for organic plantings, but they are great for the plants!

Honored Contributor

Unless the pot is some suspect material, don't worry about it.  I doubt plastic would be a problem.  It won't affect whether the produce is organic or not.  That's what you spray them with--or don't.

Valued Contributor

@Lucky Charm   

Just DON'T use any Miracle Grow products. 

I've always used wooden boxes (that aren't treated)

Honored Contributor

Knew someone who grew tomatoes in bales of straw.  Still baled.  Dig a hole, throw in some fertilizer put the tomato plants in pretty deep.  Water as needed.

They did great and without the diseases they get when the leaves touch soil.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've had good luck with the grow bags from Amazon.  I use 2 pots, still cheaper than plastic and the double wall keeps the roots cooler in Summer.  Mine get direct afternoon sun.

Haven't tried veggies, just flowers.

Image1.jpg