Respected Contributor

Anyone grow roses facing East?

I heard morning sun , facing East, is good for roses...dries up the dew, and humidity on the leaves. I understand roses like sun all day too. I do plan on timing how much sun I get in a spot outside my front door which is East. I know they need at 6-8 hrs. I'm in Florida, humidity is a strong factor here, as well as intense heat. So I'm asking because I'm thinking maybe a break from the blaring hot sun in late afternoon may do it good? I've got some roses in my back facing West, that did great from last fall until now, but I'm somewhat concerned about the heat this summer, and constant sun back there. I've got them in large planters, so, if anything I'll have to move them. I'd love to hear your experience on growing roses in both East, and West sun.
Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone grow roses facing East?

Where I live at almost 6,000ft in altitude, the sun is very intense and roses will grow facing any direction.  They also love the sandy, fast-draining soil.  We don't have humidity but temps every summer day in 90s or more.  The sunlight is much stronger at higher altitudes. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

I'm  out west and I have roses east, South, and west. I have no problem with any of those.

Honored Contributor

I'm in Albuquerque and I have five rose bushes in the front yard facing the Sandia Mountains.  They thrive but, as Kachina mentioned, our New Mexico sunshine is intense.

The result: Blooms do not last long.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Occasional Visitor

We live in Chicago suburbs.  I have mine on the east side of our house and it works well for me.  When it's hot and humid here they don't produce as many blooms but I concentrate on plenty of water (I have a soaker buried a couple inches below the surface) and disease prevention.  They are healthy and ready to produce more blooms as the intense heat subsides for beautiful blooms into fall.

Respected Contributor

Ok...appreciate the replies!
Honored Contributor

Same here, most of my roses are on Southern, Western and a few are on SE exposure. All do well. None are on strict Eastern exposure. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼