Respected Contributor

I live in N. Central FL where my herbs are killed by our "winter" frosts.

I have a stacking pot system and wonder if I could move it into a SW window with skylight during the winter without having to deal with unwanted pests.

Any suggestions?

Denise
Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone grow herbs indoors?

Look at the Miracle Gro Aerogarden. I'm going to get one as soon as the cold kills off my herbs outside. 

Respected Contributor

I have about five different spices in my front window that gets lot's of sun.  They're doing pretty well there.

A word of caution on the Aerogardens.   The lights are expensive and you're supposed to change them often.  I bought 2 a few years back and it doesn't take long for herbs to outgrow the space or the height of the light.   Also cleaning out the roots and such wasn't much better.    I tossed mine.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Honored Contributor

Kentucky Colonel Mint, Basil inside my kitchen window. In a long, rectangle pot/container. I'll try oregano this Fall/Winter.  It's outside my kitchen window right now. 

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

I grow "kitty grass" inside the house.......in pots, in front of the arcadia door.

She can smell it as soon as it sprouts!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

I grow "kitty grass" inside the house.......in pots, in front of the arcadia door.

She can smell it as soon as it sprouts!

Too funny!  One of my cats had no interest in dried catnip/toys, but boy, did he get high when I grew some fresh.  I had to limit their time on the screened in lanai. Cat Very Happy

Thanks, ladies, for your suggestions.

Denise
Respected Contributor

@debic wrote:

I have about five different spices in my front window that gets lot's of sun.  They're doing pretty well there.

A word of caution on the Aerogardens.   The lights are expensive and you're supposed to change them often.  I bought 2 a few years back and it doesn't take long for herbs to outgrow the space or the height of the light.   Also cleaning out the roots and such wasn't much better.    I tossed mine.

Thanks, I'll look into it more. I do see that the newer ones allow you to adjust the light higher but of course they cost more.