Esteemed Contributor

Anyone grow herbs in large containers? Would appreciate your advice.

[ Edited ]

I live in Oregon and things are still a bit chilly.  Tomorrow will finally feel comfortable enough to plant the 4 plants in the large planter purchased from one of the Martha Stewart shows.

With that chore almost complete, my thoughts are totally about planting basil and tarragon in large containers, which will be placed in the backyard.

I'd appreciate advice regarding how large my herb containers should be.

How many seedlings should be planted in each container and whether they should all be the same.

When is the right time to plant herbs (in the Pacific Northwest)?

What type of potting soil and fertilizer is best for growing herbs?

I know I'm asking a lot, but appreciate anything you can provide to assist me.  Yes, I have gardening books; but know from experience that being on the receiving end of information from people like you is simply the best.

Thanks so much.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Anyone grow herbs in large containers? Would appreciate your advice.

Basil and Tarragon are pretty tender plants.  When I pot them I make sure there is no danger of frost, the night temps are above 60 at all times and they are in full direct sun all day.  Here that's end of May-Beginning of June. 

My best and go to for pots soil is Miracle Gro container soil, I buy the one that has moisture retention (in a blue bag.)  My basil outgrows my pots and my parsley lasts through the fall. 

The number of seedlings would depend on their size and the size of the pot you're using.  

Good Luck!  I can't wait to get my gardens going!

Honored Contributor

I use miracle grow and mix the herbs in the pots.I have learned that chives take over with their roots and need their own pot and rosemary gets too big too,My parsley and chives seem to be fine most of the winter if it doesn’t get too cold so I love to have lots of those two planted.I can’t grow the big leaf basil for some reason and that is my favourite.I make my own fertilizer from dried egg shells and banana peels that I grind in a low cost ninja.My fertilizer is organic.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jtdmum wrote:

Basil and Tarragon are pretty tender plants.  When I pot them I make sure there is no danger of frost, the night temps are above 60 at all times and they are in full direct sun all day.  Here that's end of May-Beginning of June. 

My best and go to for pots soil is Miracle Gro container soil, I buy the one that has moisture retention (in a blue bag.)  My basil outgrows my pots and my parsley lasts through the fall. 

The number of seedlings would depend on their size and the size of the pot you're using.  

Good Luck!  I can't wait to get my gardens going!

@Jtdmum

Thank you so much for your kind advice.  60 degrees it will be, then.  Honestly, had no idea I should wait for that temp at night.  Also appreciate your advice on container soil sooooo much.

As I was reading in bed last night, knew that I wanted to go with.

thyme and chives as well.

Attempted twice to grow basil in SF, but white fly got to it badly - quite badly.  Everyone I asked about basil that I knew grew herbs in SF had given up on basil for the same reason.  Per my daughter, shouldn't have a problem growing it here.  Just needed some specific advice, as DD would just tell me to dump potting soil in a pot, insert seedlings and water.

Thanks, again!

Esteemed Contributor

@dex wrote:

I use miracle grow and mix the herbs in the pots.I have learned that chives take over with their roots and need their own pot and rosemary gets too big too,My parsley and chives seem to be fine most of the winter if it doesn’t get too cold so I love to have lots of those two planted.I can’t grow the big leaf basil for some reason and that is my favourite.I make my own fertilizer from dried egg shells and banana peels that I grind in a low cost ninja.My fertilizer is organic.

@dex

Thank you, thank you for especially mentioning chives, because while reading in bed last night I wondered why I hadn't thought of chives and thyme earlier in the day.  Without your knowledge about chives, I would have planted them in the same container with other herbs, so mega thanks.

I will remember to do the egg shell thing, as my Dad used to do that, too, back in the 50s and 60s.  He also built a compost bin in our basement, as our extended familly was in the grocery business and owned.  He'd bring home all of the outer leaves of cabbages and lettuces, out-dated produce, etc.  Thing is, cabbage really stinks when it's rotting, so every time we turned on the furnace, our house smelled like rotten cabbage. LOL!

Many thanks for all of your kind advice.

Esteemed Contributor

U orefer planting my herbs in smaller pots but I don't think I would do anything larger than a 12" container. I also would do one herb per container. Now if you want to mix the herbs then I think you could plant in one of those huge rasied tub planters that they are showing or the tin compartment kind.

I defintely would use the Miracle Grow potting soil. I swear by this stuff. You might want to keep some plastic around to put over the plants at night time if it drops temps. Herbs are sensitive and I found the plastic  covers help keep them warm. 

Good Luck!

Esteemed Contributor

@Fressa

Thanks so much for addressing size and keeping things down to one herb per container.  I would probably have placed 2 per container, so really appreciate your kind advice.  Just purchased the potting mix of which you spoke and will be sure to pick up some night time covers, too.

Honored Contributor

I use the Burpee herb seed disc in the largest container I can find.  Virtually foolproof imo.

Seed.jpg