Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone getting roses this spring??

[ Edited ]

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

I forgot.  I have two pots of mini roses that came from the grocery store.

One is a lovely peach, and is like a very small tea.  I love it.

The other is a red bi-color (like 4th of July) and is a true mini.

Both suck in the humidity of summer, but who doesn't?  Right now they are in the garage - it has windows - but we've had a relatively mild, temperature-wise, winter, and I think I need to move them out soon. 

Could your Bi-Color red/white be Gigi? I have it and they are really cuttings -- 4 cuttings per pot. I went to look for the coral minis -- same place bought -- grocery store -- but they are completely under snow!

ETA -- I just remembered the coral ones name -- Dora, I also have.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Nope! I hacked mine out to make room for other things.

But I still I tend my neighbor's roses (in line with the view from my kitchen window.)

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, @JustJazzmom, I think it is Gigi, and looks like Dora, as well.  You're good!

I looked it up, and the producer/patent holder of Dora shares my maiden name.  No wonder I like it!

Yes, indeed, they come as a collection of rooted cuttings in a 4" pot.  Well worth the $3.99.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia wrote:

Yes, @JustJazzmom, I think it is Gigi, and looks like Dora, as well.  You're good!

I looked it up, and the producer/patent holder of Dora shares my maiden name.  No wonder I like it!

Yes, indeed, they come as a collection of rooted cuttings in a 4" pot.  Well worth the $3.99.

lol! I paid $2.00 for mine! I separated Dora into 2 pots and I bought a lavender one and did the same. I may see how they grow and give as gifts to friends. We'll see if they survive the winter. They are completely covered by snow!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Ha ha - JJM - I see the lavender colored ones every year, too.  Must be a good market for these things.

I planted out a set three of these little guys about three years ago. They are a garish pink, they are the devil to prune so I generally don't, and are getting swamped by my robust mixed border, but the darn things persist and seemingly thrive.

The ones I have in pots (Gigi and Dora!) are easier to work with 'cause I can set them up on the deck rail.  Gigi succumbs to an early fungus (I don't care) and her flowers often revert to pure red.  Dora's color is so darn pretty I'll take any flower I can, and she does produce pretty well.

Happy gardening, @JustJazzmom!  Before we know it the hummers will be here.

Thanks for the thread, @Dazlin

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I just bought and planted a Chicago Peace rose in my garden.  Things are budding and spring is here.

Respected Contributor

Nice to hear what you all enjoy. I think I'm getting a bit obsessed..LOL. Seems it's my nature...I'm getting my large pots, and good soil, and will be ready to plant. Early March I plan on buying from my local Arboretum. I named a few he doesn't carry, so I'll look into jazzmom suggestions after I see what I buy here. Im just loving the highly fragrant ones....can't wait!! Enjoy and pass along your tips....don't forget ...stop and SMELL the roses🌹
Super Contributor

I've never had roses in the garden ... always thought they were too much work ... but last Fall, I purchased two Gingersnap rose trees. I'm a sucker for orange blooms. They made it through our mild winter, so we'll see how they do this year.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
Nice to hear what you all enjoy. I think I'm getting a bit obsessed..LOL. Seems it's my nature...I'm getting my large pots, and good soil, and will be ready to plant. Early March I plan on buying from my local Arboretum. I named a few he doesn't carry, so I'll look into jazzmom suggestions after I see what I buy here. Im just loving the highly fragrant ones....can't wait!! Enjoy and pass along your tips....don't forget ...stop and SMELL the roses🌹

Here is a list of Consulting Rosarians for Florida. Scroll down for the Florida people -- names with e mails and they can further help you with what does well in your area of FL @Dazlin

http://www.rose.org/rose-growing-question/rosarian/#fl

Respected Contributor

Thank you so much for the link jazzmom!!