Regular Contributor

Anyone else notice original QVC pricing changes on items?

I have been noticing over time "QVC pricing" on items fluctualing quite abit.  Seems to happen all over the site.  My example this morning is Martha Stewart items on clearance.  I am interested in her garden items.  She has two wicker planters.  The "clearance" pricing is $1.00 MORE than the pricing spoken about in the video.  I recognize, sometimes it could be a 1st time airing special, but even if it was, the difference still seems not honest.  The pricing showing on the clearance page as the "QVC pricing" is quite a lot higher, as if to make one think they are getting a really good deal.   I am noticing this on alot of different items lately.   I am just using these today as an example.   Is anyone else noticing this?  

Respected Contributor

Re: Anyone else notice original QVC pricing changes on items?

@barefootwillow wrote:

I have been noticing over time "QVC pricing" on items fluctualing quite abit.  Seems to happen all over the site.  My example this morning is Martha Stewart items on clearance.  I am interested in her garden items.  She has two wicker planters.  The "clearance" pricing is $1.00 MORE than the pricing spoken about in the video.  I recognize, sometimes it could be a 1st time airing special, but even if it was, the difference still seems not honest.  The pricing showing on the clearance page as the "QVC pricing" is quite a lot higher, as if to make one think they are getting a really good deal.   I am noticing this on alot of different items lately.   I am just using these today as an example.   Is anyone else noticing this?  

Yes, I have noticed this, more than a $1 also.

Valued Contributor

@barefootwillow wrote:

@barefootwillow  I cannot say that I have noticed this practice at QVC, but it's really no different than what other retailers do in order to make the consumer think they are getting a bigger deal than is actual.  We the consumer just need to be vigilant and pay close attention.

Regular Contributor

@Snowhite714  I don't disagree with you, but I do see it happening more often and in bigger "chucks" of money.  And, I find it a bit deceptive to list an item as a "clearance" price when it is actually priced higher than originally sold.  Just my opinion.  I have shopped with the Q from the beginning of time.  This playing around with pricing seems to have increased since they bought HSN.  

Valued Contributor

@barefootwillow wrote:

@Snowhite714  I don't disagree with you, but I do see it happening more often and in bigger "chucks" of money.  And, I find it a bit deceptive to list an item as a "clearance" price when it is actually priced higher than originally sold.  Just my opinion.  I have shopped with the Q from the beginning of time.  This playing around with pricing seems to have increased since they bought HSN.  

@barefootwillow Oh, I totally agree with you that the practice is very deceptive.

Honored Contributor

Sadly this is a comon practice in retail. You especially see it with "Going Out of Business" sales. They'll advertise 50% off, 70% off, then when you go in, the prices at those markdowns are as high or higher than they were before. Their excuse is typically something like the markdown is off the manufacturers suggested price, or comparable retail pricing, not the previous price the item sold for in the store. You just have to be a smart consumer and not believe everything you see.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I'm on a tear to buy nothing this summer except true needs so I'm not even checking.  But I do agree with those who are saying this practice is quite common -  prices change frequently, up and down -  and for a very long time I've noticed a disclaimer on QVC's website reminding us that prices in any videos not from items currently on the airt may have changed.

This discussion takes me all the way back to ninth grade -  we're talking 1955 now.  One of my classes was Latin I -  loved it.  But the one Latin phrase I think I've used most often in my life, I learned in Civics class the same year --   caveat emptor wins in my memory and for coping with all we need to keep in mind as we shop.  Because we were being warned to be careful so many years back (and because my parents were), I'm thinking all sorts of practices we think are new have been going on for centuries.

Super Contributor

When I heard about the free shipping last night I immediately looked for a VPH bowl I had my eye on. The search showed the item listed for $14.93 but when I clicked on it and was taken to the item page it was $29.10.  I tried to call customer service but they were already closed. This morning when I did a search the item was listed for $29.10. It is very frustrating since I had taken a screenshot with the lower price and sent it to my daughter and daughter-in-law asking if they would like it.  Of course they said yes, so I will wait until the free shipping is over to see if the price changes back to the clearance price.

Super Contributor

Yes. what the heck is this about.  Would like to hear an explanation. I have not ordered certain items in my wish list because of this practice.

Respected Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Sadly this is a comon practice in retail. You especially see it with "Going Out of Business" sales. They'll advertise 50% off, 70% off, then when you go in, the prices at those markdowns are as high or higher than they were before. Their excuse is typically something like the markdown is off the manufacturers suggested price, or comparable retail pricing, not the previous price the item sold for in the store. You just have to be a smart consumer and not believe everything you see.

I NEVER go to "Going Out of Business" sales.  They are the biggest ripoff.