Respected Contributor

Anyone Growing Salvia plants ?

I have 3 large banister hanging plant pots and 2 large flower pots sitting on my patio, purple and red flowers. The apartment rental office gives out free plants of different varieties  every spring. I also have 4 hanging pots of Begonias and 2 pots of marigolds. The Salvia plants have grown tall and they are beautiful but they are requiring daily watering !  Everyday they start to wilt and I have to water them very well, soaking the pots and by the next afternoon they are wilting again. I just read they are perennials!  BeautifulI flowers but a lot of work ! Anyone else growing these plants ?  any suggestions ?   

Honored Contributor

Re: Anyone Growing Salvia plants ?

Salvias are great plants. Hummingbirds love them. There are both annual and perennial varieties. Any plant in a pot will need fairly frequent watering. They can't find water on their own, so you need to provide it. 

Bigger pots tend to need less frequent watering. Shielding the pot/plant from hot afternoon sun can help limit watering needs a bit also.   The reality of plants in pots though is that they'll need to be watered. There are plastic spouts you can attach to a two-liter bottle and fill the bottle with water, then screw on the spout and it'll trickle water to the plant over the course of a few hours to help water the plant, but you've then got a two-liter plastic bottle sticking up out of the pot which isn't the most attractive and you've got to refill the bottle regularly.

There are self-watering pots with a reservoir on the bottom that work pretty well, but even then you've got to top off the reservoir fairly frequently. The reality is that plants in pots need frequent watering. Even after a rain, the plants in a pot may wilt as the foliage often sheds the water around the pot. You can be thinking, "Oh it rained! I don't have to water the plants today!"  And you'd often be wrong.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

I've got potted salvia plants that need watering every other day, although since we're moving into summer, I probably will have to water every day. They wilt quickly in our heat but are worth the work. Butterflies love them! I've not found any solution to watering potted plants. The planters that hold water in the bottom breed mosquitoes here; I've not tried the soil that they say hold water. Good luck; if you find a solution, please share.

Honored Contributor

@Carolina925 wrote:

I've got potted salvia plants that need watering every other day, although since we're moving into summer, I probably will have to water every day. They wilt quickly in our heat but are worth the work. Butterflies love them! I've not found any solution to watering potted plants. The planters that hold water in the bottom breed mosquitoes here; I've not tried the soil that they say hold water. Good luck; if you find a solution, please share.

I used the Miracle-Gro moisture-retaining soil one year (many years ago now, they might have improved it) and found it deteriorated badly. Before the growing season was done it was mush. I never gave it another try. 

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@Goodie2shoes  Certain type pots retain water longer than others. If your pot is root bound ( no soil left) than take it out, loosen up the roots & plant in a larger pot. I would also suggest that you put some fine bark mulch on top of the container which helps retain moisture. You might get away with watering ever other day but that if iffy. Other than that, with the temps. in the 90's & 3 digits then watering a pot everyday is a must. Your plant is doing well, so don't fret with daily watering if needed. Smiley Happy

I am a avid gardening in Florida which is in the 3 digits now! I have Salvia's in the ground, not in pots. I also have flowering pots which I water everday unless it cloudy & rains all day off & on. Its time consuming but I love it! Now, a drip system is another story lol!

Respected Contributor

@gardenman  I live in Fl. I have to say Lantana (lucky dwarf or Bandana do excellent in pots for me & the butterflies love them them & do not need water everyday so that is an excellent choice for @Goodie2shoes . I find that the bees are attracted to Salvia the most for me. The main shrub I have for hummingbirds is the fire bush that I limbed up to a small tree which they flock to....I mostly have nectar perennial flowers for different pollinators & host plants for butterflies. I would say I have a semi cottage garden because its neat lol & have evergreen various shubs, some green, chartuese, blue. Thank goodness my hubby helps alot as its work but he's retired or else I would not be able to keep up with all the plants myself. I do read your replies & enjoy your knowledge. I am from Boston so gardening in florida has been quite a learning experience as to what works. Have a good Day!