Honored Contributor

Any suggestions what to plant that the bunnies won't eat?

Last summer we were home in Pa and I planted a large flower garden of asslym , geraniums and large yellow marigolds (the asian ones). the rabbits thought i had put in a smorgasboard. So this year my intention is to plant some large planters instead of just putting them in the ground but I would appreciate suggestions what I could plant that the rabbits will not eat - as even large planters are within their ability to get to if they get up on their back legs. Since it is a campground the rabbits seem so tame and not at all afraid of humans - last year we would wave our arms and run right at them and they just sat there chewing. The only way we could get them out of the flower bed was to squirt them with the hose!
Super Contributor

Re: Any suggestions what to plant that the bunnies won't eat?

I live above Palm Spring so it is desert and bunnies eat everything. They don't eat Euryops, a bush with yellow flowers or rosemary or Lantana that comes in many colors. There's a catalogue/website called Southwest Gardens I believe and all the plants they sell are described as to what their qualities are drought tolerant, rabbit proof, deer proof etc. I think the plants they sell would work most everywhere. In any case, you could check out the catalogue/website and see what's available that's rabbit proof and maybe find it locally plus nurseries in your area would probably know.
Valued Contributor

Snapdragons

Honored Contributor

Prickly plants and smelly plants like herbs.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Super Contributor

Did they eat your geraniums? I have always heard they won't eat them, and that's been my experience. After getting my petunias mowed down after planting, I put in geraniums and they have been around a long time with no nibbles.

Honored Contributor

They eat the buds on my Stello D'Oro daylilies sometimes. It says online they won't eat them but they do. They like to get up underneath them to stay cool & feast while they are there.

Honored Contributor

Those cute little critters eat anything and everything. You need to cage your plants with chicken wire to keep them out............

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

My indoor pet bunnies had no interest in parsley. I put a sprig in there once and not only did they not want it, they pushed in out of the hutch. They didn't even want it on the premises. LOL

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2014 VaBelle35 said:

My indoor pet bunnies had no interest in parsley. I put a sprig in there once and not only did they not want it, they pushed in out of the hutch. They didn't even want it on the premises. LOL

Those smart little cuties want it fresh from the ground (!)

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

On 3/10/2014 JustJazzmom said:

Prickly plants and smelly plants like herbs.

but i want pretty flowers. same with caging them with chicken wire - i want them to look pretty. As foreating the geraniums - after all the rest were gone they ate the geraniums too. Obviously that was not their first choice but when that was all that was left --- gonzo.