Respected Contributor

Any suggestions for tall growing roses...

Other than Mr. Lincoln..I have one, and would like another variety that grows nice and tall, full. I'm planning to plant it outside my front porch area for some privacy from the road. It MUST be very fragrant, and prefer large blooms. It faces east, so it'll only get about 6-7 hrs sunlight, but will get morning sun. Appreciate any suggestions
Honored Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for tall growing roses...

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:
Other than Mr. Lincoln..I have one, and would like another variety that grows nice and tall, full. I'm planning to plant it outside my front porch area for some privacy from the road. It MUST be very fragrant, and prefer large blooms. It faces east, so it'll only get about 6-7 hrs sunlight, but will get morning sun. Appreciate any suggestions

I love the David Austin shrub roses...some grow more than 6 feet tall.

They are very fragrant too.

Honored Contributor

Queen Elizabeth!  Beautiful dark green leaves and medium pink rose with dark green leaves and medium pink flowers on long sturdy stems.  

Honored Contributor

I would ask the Florida Rosarians this question as you would need more then one plant especially if it's to block a road for privacy.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Didn't mean totally blocking the road...just another tall rose bush...just to break up the view, and something pretty to look out at. I have looked in Florida Rosarian's before, and I think you have to be a member to get on.
Honored Contributor

The link I had posted had e mail addy's so you could contact them. 

Here is that link again: http://www.rose.org/rose-growing-question/rosarian/#fl

Respected Contributor

Thanks, jazzmom. I saw a Francis Mainland that has good growth, and excellent on black spot resistance. I can ask my local aboratem where I've been buying roses, if he would order it for me....WEEKS sells it. Queen Elizabeth was mentioned here too....another possibility.
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
Thanks, jazzmom. I saw a Francis Mainland that has good growth, and excellent on black spot resistance. I can ask my local aboratem where I've been buying roses, if he would order it for me....WEEKS sells it. Queen Elizabeth was mentioned here too....another possibility.

I own Francis Meilland and have to say it has fragrance and is blackspot resistant. It is a pale pink/whitish rose color. It's a hybrid tea. 

Queen Elizabeth was one of the first grandifloras created back in the '50's but it is not blackspot resistant.  Look at Dee-Lish a tall hybrid tea for fragrance and blackspot resistance.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

@Dazlin  Sheer Bliss is a grandiflora growing 6-7', and is a white/pale blush pink, and fragrant.  The roses are beautiful on strong stems so great for cutting.

Respected Contributor

Great suggestions...I'm looking into them....thank you!!