Respected Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for tall growing roses...

I went to a couple of nurseries today, wasn't impressed with quality..skimpy, and already had black spots, plus much higher prices....so I wound up back where I've been shopping and bought a Neil Diamond...good on disease and grows tall. Really pretty colors with stripes. No Francis Meilland, I didn't bother asking owner to order me one. Honestly have not seen better quality roses than where I've been going, Aboratem...rich green foliage, and large colorful blooms. He said used a slow release granular. I think I'm set for this season.
Honored Contributor

Don't forget to sprinkle Epsom salts twice around your roses during the growing season. I do the 1st application when they fully leaf out then again in July in the NE.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Respected Contributor

Jazzmom, I heard alot about using Epson salts, I see it quite common. I just potted mine in miracle grow potting soil, added a little organic mix soil with worm castings, and a touch of morganilite.
Respected Contributor

Milorganite...spelling🙄....anyway...maybe enough for now on fertilizer??
Honored Contributor

If the Miracle Gro potting soil contains fertilizer look at the first number on the bag; compare it to the Milorganite bag's first number. That is the Nitrogen number. You may not need the Milorganite if the potting soil contains fertilizer. 

I use Milorganite for my lawn fertilzation but since the 1st number is low, you can use it for veggies and perennials like roses. 

I would get a bag of Espoma Rose Tone for your roses and follow package instructions for use. I generally feed my roses monthly during the growing season which for us in Zone 7 is from the end of April to the end of August. 

Contact your local Rosarian by e mail from that link I previously posted to ask when to apply fertilizer for your roses as your times are different than mine is. 

Respected Contributor

Thank you jazzmom...I'll check the lists on the bags, and pick up that Epsom a as well. I'll check into that site you provided....basically people fertilize every 4 weeks on roses, but we are advised to stop once Temps reach over 90'some as it may burn the roots on already stressed plants...I will check on that. Literally Temps go to 100, with heat index over that....10000% humidity 😰. Appreciate all your tips!!! Have a beautiful day!!
Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:
Thank you jazzmom...I'll check the lists on the bags, and pick up that Epsom a as well. I'll check into that site you provided....basically people fertilize every 4 weeks on roses, but we are advised to stop once Temps reach over 90'some as it may burn the roots on already stressed plants...I will check on that. Literally Temps go to 100, with heat index over that....10000% humidity 😰. Appreciate all your tips!!! Have a beautiful day!!

Sprinkle a half cup of the fertilizer around the plant and water in well. 

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

Queen Elizabeth!  Beautiful dark green leaves and medium pink rose with dark green leaves and medium pink flowers on long sturdy stems.  

@Sooner

@Dazlin

Good suggestion!  My Queen faces east and she's a tall, hardy girl.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

I'd like to start growing roses.  Where do I begin?  I'm in Zone A I think.............

Honored Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

I'd like to start growing roses.  Where do I begin?  I'm in Zone A I think.............

Go to this website to determine Hardiness zone: http://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/PHZMWeb/

You need at least 6 hours of full sun for roses to do well. Contact local rosarians for roses that do well in your area: http://www.rose.org/rose-growing-question/rosarian/