Super Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for flowers on a shaded porch?

I have a friend with a shaded porch and she has several things there and they look stunning. She has pothos, ferns, and a plant with a red bloom, it almost looks like a lily. I forgot what the name of them are.....very pretty. Also, she has some hostas there too. They love shade.

Honored Contributor

I have a hanging basket of the purple torenias, on the porch floor we have two big pots one each of the giant coleus. We've had calla lilies in pots in years past, beautiful & did really well. We get the morning sun in the front but it's filtered because of a service berry on the north and our little forest of dogwoods.

During the nice weather we have on the south side of the porch a huge pot of a huge angelwing begonia that we've had for years. In the cold weather we drag it just inside our front door. This one flowers every summer, light pink blossom clusters that dangle.

Honored Contributor

On 5/29/2014 imaclotheshog said:

I have a friend with a shaded porch and she has several things there and they look stunning. She has pothos, ferns, and a plant with a red bloom, it almost looks like a lily. I forgot what the name of them are.....very pretty. Also, she has some hostas there too. They love shade.

Was the plant with the red bloom --- anthurium?

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Trusted Contributor

I'd visit your local nursery, talk with the nice folks there, and see what plants look good in their "shade" section. Ferns and coleus usually do well in shade. I have big pots of New Guinea impatiens by my shaded front door, and they're flourishing. The N.G. varieties aren't affected by the mold issues.

Valued Contributor

Just wanted to let everyone know that I successfully dug up the Phlox and replanted into smaller containers and placed on our sunny BACK deck. Got more Coleus and planted more of these on our shaded porch. I'll let you know that if it was a true success when and if everything "takes" and starts growing!{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

We used to have the most wonderful local nursery. Really knowledgeable people and very kind and patient with everyone's questions. Unfortunately, they are no more. Now I pretty much have to go to the big box stores, like Lowe's, etc.

Honored Contributor

Artificial........I move them from the house, to the porch, and finally to the cemetery

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

Shamrocks do really well in the shade. They are perennials and look great in the summer but I bring them in during the winter and they look dead but once back out they bloom all summer. They bring good luck too. I put mine on a tall plant stand that holds around six pots and place under my covered porch. Also come in green.

Valued Contributor

Thank you, teddy & ladies!