Valued Contributor

Re: Any suggestions for flowers on a shaded porch?

white flow.ers like shade...
Super Contributor

Try ferns they look beautiful on a shaded porch. Last year I put out begonias and they worked real well for my part sun/part shade porch. They stayed nice until October. This year I'm doing potted ferns for a change.

Super Contributor

I have a pansy in front of my house under the overhang by the front door that gets no sun and it's doing great.

Respected Contributor

I just purchased a "Burning Hearts Bleeding Heart", & a "Sweet Tea Foamy Bells" (Heucherella) for my shade deck. I already have several Hosta that I LOVE. I also love coleus. here's a pic of the Sweet Tea...

31561.jpg

Valued Contributor

Hi Ladies-

Just an update. Planted some Coleus and I LOVE them. They've been doing great since I put them in their pot and growing, too. Very nice.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Planted some phlox in pots on my porch, and dare I say, I don't think I'll plant them again. They were blooming for a while and now, although not dead, are not flowering. So they just look like weeds. I think I should have planted ALL Coleus and I would have been much happier! However, this is what container gardening (and non-expert gardening) is all about, huh? Trial and error, seeing what works, taking mental notes for the next season, etc.

:

Honored Contributor

On 5/27/2014 glmama said:

Hi Ladies-

Just an update. Planted some Coleus and I LOVE them. They've been doing great since I put them in their pot and growing, too. Very nice.{#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

Planted some phlox in pots on my porch, and dare I say, I don't think I'll plant them again. They were blooming for a while and now, although not dead, are not flowering. So they just look like weeds. I think I should have planted ALL Coleus and I would have been much happier! However, this is what container gardening (and non-expert gardening) is all about, huh? Trial and error, seeing what works, taking mental notes for the next season, etc.

:

Phlox is a sun loving perennial. Also coleus is grown for the foliage and if you start to see the flower spike, just pinch it off.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Valued Contributor

Hi Jazz-

I swear I learned here (or at the garden center?) that Phlox would be a good choice for my covered porch area???

Can I dig them out and replant them elsewhere? And just get more of the gorgeous Coleus and plant them in their place?

Really, I am not a total newbie, but maybe one notch up. Cool

Honored Contributor

On 5/28/2014 glmama said:

Hi Jazz-

I swear I learned here (or at the garden center?) that Phlox would be a good choice for my covered porch area???

Can I dig them out and replant them elsewhere? And just get more of the gorgeous Coleus and plant them in their place?

Really, I am not a total newbie, but maybe one notch up. Cool

Yes you can dig them up, place them in a sunny area (that gets at least 6 hours of sun combined or total). They will get a little raggedy over the winter but once spring comes back, they perk up again. Also since they are going in the ground, they will grow larger in size (width).

Yes, you can do more coleus if you want. Try some of the others mentioned too (at larger nurseries (not the big box ones).

From the internet:

<h3>Best shade flowers – Annual</h3>

Annuals may not come back year after year, but you cannot beat them for sheer flower power. Annual flowers to grow in shade will fill even the shadiest corner with plenty of color.

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/gardens-gardening/your-garden/help-for-the-home-gardener/advi...

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Contributor

Thank you, thank you for following up on this post! I missed it the first time and happened to be scanning the forums and spotted this. I am going to the garden center this afternoon to pick plants up for my deck container garden. Half is shady and I was bored with impatiens. I will definitely check out the coleus and begonias, along with the others on JustJazzmom's list. You gals are the best!

Valued Contributor

JustJAZZ-Thank you SOOO MUCH!! This really helps! I need YOU with me when I purchase plants!!!