Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any one changing your garden this year?

Yep.....Since Hubby said no more pond and took it out.....I have to rethink what I want to do in that area.

Esteemed Contributor

It would be a very odd year for me if I didn't change a garden or two... or three.... 

I don't do veggies -- all the failures I've had, it's honestly cheaper for me to buy them at the market.   I do re-arrange or change colors of or expand current garden beds every year.  I thought that was the definition of a gardener, to always be changing things around.

Spring-like weather here the last week.  I'm not fooled, tho.  I know there's lots of winter ahead.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Honored Contributor

@Grade1Teach wrote:

We moved into our new home last June, so I did some experimenting with gardening, as I wasn't really sure what would grow and how well it would do.

For the most part, we had really good luck with the things we planted.  This new backyard gets full sun in some parts and full shade in others, which is a change for me compared to my other home (all full sun).

We have decided to have a "shade garden" made here in the spring which I am very excited about!  I'm thinking about perennials that bloom in shade, but I am going to have the person building the garden help me on that one.  I have been busy picking out different stepping stones and decorations to put in the garden as well.

The full sun part of my yard will probably stay the same for the most part.  I love zinnias, dahlias, geraniums, and portulacas.  We also had some begonias, which I really love as well (part shade).  Thinking about planting hydrangeas along my fence too.  There are so many choices.  Thinking about the arrival of spring makes me so happy! 

@Grade1Teach Look at Bluestone Perennials site for shade loving perennials. You don't have to buy from them, just look at the vast varieties available and buy locally. Don't just settle for hostas. There are many shade loving perennials -- many are grown for foliage so look for various leaves for garden interest and look for plants that bloom at different times of year for same reason.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Grade1Teach Look for viburnums, weigelias and dwarf fothergillas for sunny areas. 

Hydrangeas for the most part prefer morning sun and afternoon shade. 

Dahlias depending on where were you live, may need to be lifted from ground for winter storage.

Look at peonies if in a not too warm area of US -- anything above hardiness zone 8 will not do well (get foliage but no blooms).

I like to mix shrubs with perennials. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

Moving to another area shortly.  I will have Spring/Summer to do yard work and gardening. 

Yes, I am changing the vegetation at that new home.  It's all overgrown and the soil is drained of nutrients. 

I want simple and easy care greenery.  I will be planting my Parma Violets because I enjoy them so much and plan to grow my own herbs and fruit too. 

Never Forget the Native American Indian Holocaust
Trusted Contributor

@JustJazzmom  Thanks so much for all of that info and advice!!  This is my first time having a part of my garden professionally done.  Our house has a lot of trees and woods toward the back, so we've never dealt with anything like this before.  It's actually quite lovely though.  We have the best of both worlds - Full sun and Full shade.  The shaded part last year was just a lot of "dead" space, and after looking at it all summer, I am determined to do something great with it this year.

I will definitely look into all of the flowers you mentioned! Smiley Very Happy