Esteemed Contributor

Any one changing your garden this year?

The tomatoes have been so disappointing the last 3-4 years.  I'm giving them up.  I'd rather buy heirloom organic from the grocery.

I may still do potatoes and some herbs.  They have still been rewarding.

anyone else making any changes? maybe more gardening?

I'm watching for robins.  My first real sign spring is here to stay.  Then come the hummingbirds!!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any one changing your garden this year?

Yes, we have been disappointed in our tomatoes the last few years. A man my husband knows has ordered seeds of some hybrid variety that are suppose to be more disease resistant. He is planting them in his greenhouse and will give us some plants later on. We shall see.

Other than that, nope. Same squash and will hopefully have enough to share.

Some of our fruit trees are getting tiny leaves on them. That's always exciting, although the animals get to the fruit before we do.

Respected Contributor

Gardening here is 365 days a year, 366 on leap years. I am constantly changing things in my gardens. Some things die and are replaced. If something is not doing well in one spot, it may get moved to see if it does better. It all keeps me busy.

Esteemed Contributor

I definitely want to do some yellow crookneck squash.  Can't beat it when tender and unblemished, and lightly steamed or pickled with onions.  Yum.

The chives are already re-growing.  I am hoping the pumpkin patch will re-grow from seed.

I'll continue to grow cherry tomatoes from seed, in a pot on the deck.

Birds here have been plentiful all winter - even the gold finches.  I saw a towhee the other day and it signified Spring.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I always do culinary herbs because I make pesto to freeze and I dry herbs for tea and to flavor foods. I make pickles so I always and still will do cucumbers and zucchini, but I too have had no luck with any kind of tomatoes for the past few years. There is nothing like your own tomatoes so I will plant again, but I'm going to try planting them in straw bales. I grew one s--t load of kale last season and will not do that again. All I did was battle the white fly and even though I got a bumper crop, the leaves were not tender as in past seasons. I never grew butternut squash and I'm going to try it this season, I love butternut squash and it's easy to freeze.

Honored Contributor

This year in anticipation of rabbits, once lettuce is planted will put rabbit fencing around it. Will do the same for Asiatic lilies.

Will be moving an ITOH peony from back row to front row. The front row herbaceous peony will be moved to back row. ITOH blooms ahead of herbaceous ones.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Esteemed Contributor

@Mary Bailey Always fun about now to think of what we want to do, huh? I, too, gave up on tomatoes a couple of years ago. My dh doesn't even really like them, so why did I even bother before? I guess it was fun. I will plant my sugar snap peas again for sure. They are so good right off the vines.  I didn't do pumpkins last year because they took up so much space, but after pricing them last Fall, I will plant some in a new location where they can go crazy. Other than that for now, it's flowers, flowers, flowers.

Weekend Graphic #6

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Trusted Contributor

Probably not. We don't really have a garden. We have a raised wood planter that we grow small veggies like peppers and beans.

We also have 4 hydroponic planters and I usually plant 3 different types of tomatoes and a zucchini. I love to have 1 cherry tomato plant as they start producing in May/June and go until Octobers. Then I pick 2 larger tomato types.

Last year our tomatoes were wonderful! The year before that they were not. Hoping of a repeat of last year of course.  :-)

Trusted Contributor

Yes. I changed my vegetable garden to flowers many years ago. Last fall I cut down 2 8 foot Butterfly bushes and 1 Honeysuckle down to the ground. I'll dug up the roots when it warms up. I planted a 8 feet Blue spruce last spring with 3 Quakies rounded it.  They allmade it through the the winter. I'm going to make a rock garden around it. I also going to move my yard around. Move so plants from back to front and vice versa. Move my Stargazer lilies by the deck so we can injoying the smell. So yes I'm going to change my flower gardens this year.

Trusted Contributor

We moved into our new home last June, so I did some experimenting with gardening, as I wasn't really sure what would grow and how well it would do.

For the most part, we had really good luck with the things we planted.  This new backyard gets full sun in some parts and full shade in others, which is a change for me compared to my other home (all full sun).

We have decided to have a "shade garden" made here in the spring which I am very excited about!  I'm thinking about perennials that bloom in shade, but I am going to have the person building the garden help me on that one.  I have been busy picking out different stepping stones and decorations to put in the garden as well.

The full sun part of my yard will probably stay the same for the most part.  I love zinnias, dahlias, geraniums, and portulacas.  We also had some begonias, which I really love as well (part shade).  Thinking about planting hydrangeas along my fence too.  There are so many choices.  Thinking about the arrival of spring makes me so happy!