Honored Contributor

Re: Any non-toxic way to get rid of weeds?

Propane torch made for weeds available at Tru-Value Hardware Stores.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

Thanks for all your suggestions, I also dig my weeds out, they are covered with about 4" of mulch but with the extreme amounts of rain, they have overtaken all the beds in my 5 lots. I am tired of pulling and digging them out, just looking for something I haven't already tried. Am going to try the vinegar method. Thanks to everyone for responding.
"To each their own, in all things".
Valued Contributor

I recently saw a "natural/non-toxic" weed killer advertised on either the Q or the H.

It came in a concentrated form and was so affordable I'd have bought some IF I had a garden!!!

Trusted Contributor

@Krimpette wrote:

I'm just trying out a recipe I saw on-line, so I can't tell you if it works yet.  Here's the recipe:  In a bucket - 1 gallon of vinegar, 1 cup of salt, 1 tablespoon of liquid dish detergent.  Thoroughly disolve the salt into the vinegar first.  After that, add the dish detergent and thoroughly combine.  Then put it into the spray device of your choice. Thorughly wet the leaves of the weeds   I'm hoping it works because I really don't want to use chemicals.

Oh, and it was recommended that this be done on a sunny day.  And by way of additional information, the dish detergent is supposed to aid in the solution adhering to the weeds.  

Good luck!

This recipe works great...I have to retreat after a couple weeks but it does a number on the weeds that come up between the joints of our sandstone walkways...and yes a sunny day with no rain is the best time to use it...DW

Respected Contributor

I tried vinegar and a little dawn. Hope it works!!
Esteemed Contributor

Let us know how you do.  The weeds are crazy bad right now; I'm going to try the solution.  I've been using boiling water which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but I have a huge area to treat.

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

It works! Straight vinegar and I added just a couple of drops of dawn. I see some very dead dandelions. Thanks for the tip ladies. It kills the grass too so zero in on the weed.
Honored Contributor

I am going to try the vinegar with a bit of Dawn, if we ever get a day without rain and wind.
"To each their own, in all things".
Honored Contributor

I understand Preen effectively prevents weed seeds from germinating in the first place.  First pull your existing weeds, then apply Preen in the garden, and you'll be home-free.