Honored Contributor

Any non-toxic way to get rid of weeds?

Anyone have a totally non-toxic way to get rid of weeds? I want something I can apply that works quickly and absolutely will not harm my dog, or the rabbits and squirrels or birds that run around out there. Thanks for your help. I am very tired of weeding and with all the rain we have had, that is all I have been doing lately.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Re: Any non-toxic way to get rid of weeds?

We use white vinegar in a spray bottle.  If the weed is in the lawn and has big enough leaves to get it on there only, works great.  Or set it on the "stream" setting and squirt it right at the base and it shouldn't affect the nearby lawn.  Just use a little bit!  

Esteemed Contributor

I use a hoe in my beds.  I understand - it is an eternal issue.  I endeavor to not let them get to any size, but also accept that some (or lots!) of weeds will always be part of the equation.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

I'm just trying out a recipe I saw on-line, so I can't tell you if it works yet.  Here's the recipe:  In a bucket - 1 gallon of vinegar, 1 cup of salt, 1 tablespoon of liquid dish detergent.  Thoroughly disolve the salt into the vinegar first.  After that, add the dish detergent and thoroughly combine.  Then put it into the spray device of your choice. Thorughly wet the leaves of the weeds   I'm hoping it works because I really don't want to use chemicals.

Oh, and it was recommended that this be done on a sunny day.  And by way of additional information, the dish detergent is supposed to aid in the solution adhering to the weeds.  

Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Thank you everyone for your responses. I will be trying out your suggestions. I know that a hoe would cut them down, I want to eliminate/kill them, as much as possible. It is a never ending chore that I am tired of spending all my time on, lol.

Trusted Contributor

DH also uses white vinegar in a spray bottle.  It is totally natural and kills the weeds.

Honored Contributor

Thank you, that is what I will be trying first.
Honored Contributor

I pull them, great exercise too.

Honored Contributor

I hate to weed and one of the things that helps prevent weeds is to block the sunlight from them. Apply at least a two to three inch layer of mulch around each plant and that will help a lot.

I do also when doing a new bed after planting and before mulching-- sprinkle the Preen w/o fertilizer around the bed and new plants and then I mulch. This helps too prevent weed germination.

I still get some weeds, but not as much as when there was just bare soil.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I dig my weeds out

♥Surface of the Sun♥