Honored Contributor

Any new improved bird strike deterrents?

I ask this every year, hoping for a better solution.  We have a feeder on the roof edge of our deck, and boy are we getting the birds.  Some of these I've never seen before.  But with the increased feeding comes increased bird strikes on the glass.  We can't put the feeders away from the house because they attract bears.  My neighbor has video to prove it.  Right now I'm still using the glittery wide mylar ribbon taped to the glass and moving with the wind.

Honored Contributor

Re: Any new improved bird strike deterrents?

How about screens on the windows

Trusted Contributor

I get the window clings from Duncraft. Search for "Window Strike Solutions" on the Duncraft website.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004
Honored Contributor

@dex wrote:

How about screens on the windows

I'm not sure what OP is feeding, but I do know that seagulls and screens----not a good thing!

Honored Contributor

Put up blinds,like rollar shades.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

The problem is: the sky is reflected in the window, so the bird flies into the window thinking it’s the sky. 

I tried those bird clings & they didn’t work. I think the shades is a good idea.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

Sadly we have decided to discontinue feeding sunflower seeds for the summer and put out the hummingbird feeders in that place.  I miss watching the variety of birds but don't want to injure them.  Shades are not practical as our goal of building in the woods was to SEE the woods.  Not a curtain in this house, not even the bathroom.  We are secluded so it is not an issue.

Honored Contributor

Forgot to say I checked out the Duncraft and we have similar stickems on the windows now.  They don't seem to work, but thanks for the suggestion.

Honored Contributor

Something you could try is hanging bird netting from your gutters over the windows. It's a nearly invisible mesh so it won't drastically affect your view, but it would stop the birds from hitting the windows. It's sold in lawn and garden centers. Attaching it to the gutters and then adding small weights to the bottom would create something of an airbag for any bird flying into it. The outside edge of your gutter is typically a ways away from the window, so it would create a nice buffer zone for any bird impacting it. By using weights on the bottom or perhaps a bungie cord anchored to the ground you could make essentially a vertical trampoline for birds that fly into it. It would confuse the heck out of them, but protect them from hitting the window.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

Hi. 

I live in AZ, and had 'sun screens' put on my very large cathedral, arched windows.

Naturally, here they're primarily used to cut down on the blazing heat & to protect inside furniture, rugs, etc. from sun damage.

What's interesting is that during the day, you can't see into the house, so they afford total privacy during daylight hours....but they don't impede YOUR view of the outdoors. Nice!

Before the screens were installed, bird strikes were common, and there'd even be the imprint of the bird left on the window! Awful.

Good luck!

Muddling through...