Honored Contributor

Any natural way to get rid of potato bugs?

Where do these things come from?  We are in the woods with no gardening neighbors.  DH wants to put powder on them, I'm trying to keep him as "organic" as possible. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Any natural way to get rid of potato bugs?

https://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/garden-pests/colorado-potato-beetle-control/

Here is a link I found.  Do they look like in that picture?

Esteemed Contributor

Mine have been flying into my Dynatrap

Honored Contributor

If my brother and I had a dime for every potato bug we handpicked, we'd be sitting pretty in our retirement.   We went to the garden every day with an empty soup can that had a splash of kerosene or gasoline in it and picked potato bugs.   Once all the bugs were gone, Dad or Grandpa went thru with Sevin Dust and covered the vines.   At the end of the day we got to burn the bugs with the days trash---it was a big deal to us.  

Respected Contributor

When I was little, we lived on my grandmother's farm for a number of years where we had a number of potato fields.  So we kids were given jars with a liquid in it and had to go down row after row of potatoes and get the bugs off the plants and put them into the jars.  They secreted a yellow substance that made our hands all yellow.

Don't remember if I liked doing it or not.  Probably not.

Honored Contributor

Here are some suggestions from You Bet Your Garden, an organic gardening program on NPR:

http://www.gardensalive.com/product/protecting-plants-from-the-colorado-potato-beetle