Esteemed Contributor

Re: Any Hummingbird sightings?

I put the feeder out on Sunday "just in case" and saw the male feeding this evening.  I don't have a clue when he arrived.

I'm in far western North Carolina.  Hummer is about 2-3 weeks earlier than usual.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Valued Contributor

@Marp 

Hummer Alert! 

This morning I was standing in front of the kitchen sink with coffee and VOILA!  a little hummer appeared on the feeder just outside my  window.    

Nice way to start the day and made me smile.  

I will change out all the food in 3 feeders this weekend. 

Chilly middle 60s and WINDY here in SW GA, 

CAT

Honored Contributor

@gacat123- Our hummers seem to appreciate dryer lint too here in Joisey. They pack the lint in with the mud and whatever they use to build their teeny nests.

HOW I LOVE 'EM!!

Esteemed Contributor

OH JOY, OH JOY, OH JOY. I am so excited.  I was outside with the dogs a few minutes ago when one of my hummingbirds flew and hovered within inches of my face then perched on my shoulder!!! I froze like a statute so as to not frighten it. He stayed on my shoulder for close to a minute.  

Honored Contributor

@Marp, that is awesome. I have had them hover in front of my face, but never had one land on me. I would be so excited.
I am in Missouri, no hummer sightings so far, but have my feeder ready to fill and put out ASAP when I see one.
"To each their own, in all things".
Esteemed Contributor

CoooOOOOooool, @Marp!  What a thrill!   Last year one little guy got caught between 2 slats of my deck (I have no idea how that happened) -- I was able to get him out and he just sat in the palm of my hand for about a minute before he flew off.   It was difficult for me to sit there calmly and hold him when I really wanted to jump up and down with excitement.

* A woman is like a tea bag. You can't tell how strong she is until you put her in hot water. *
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Esteemed Contributor

@Snicks1, if you fill and hang your feeder you just might be surprised by your hummers.  I first hung mine as a "just in case" and was surprised to learn my hummers were back.

This was a first for me and it took everything I had to stay still I was so excited.  I'm not even sure I was breathing!

Esteemed Contributor

@tototwo, having a hummer in my hand is the only thing I can think of that would top having one perch on my shoulder.

Believe me, I can appreciate how hard it was to contain your excitement.

Honored Contributor

@Marp, h'mmm, maybe I will do that and see if any appear. Thanks.
"To each their own, in all things".
Contributor

I live in central KY.  I put my feeders out 2 weeks ago, but didn't see my first hummingbird until yesterday (4/10).  I think s/he was a scout because s/he was alone.