Esteemed Contributor

Do you use these things on your hummingbird feeder?  Do they make a difference?

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

Yes I do use an ant moat and it does keep the ants from crawling onto the feeder.   I have to remember to keep it filled with water though. 

Honored Contributor

Yes, the do work as long as they're filled with water.  The problem I have is that it's so dry here the water evaporates in just a few hours so I'm constantly having to fill it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks.  I have read that vegetable oil put in the moat, swished around, and the excess dumped, works also.

I may get a couple (I have several feeding stations).

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia I had not heard that about using vegetable oil. If you left the oil in there and it got hot enough from the sun you could have fried ants. 😃 (Just kidding!)

Respected Contributor

Yes, I use them because I have them, but I don't think I need them because I've never seen any ants. LOL!

Muddling through...
Esteemed Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia, I have two feeders and have moats on both.  They do work.  We get enough rain not to have to fill them.  LM

Honored Contributor

I used to put the cat food dish in a larger dish filled with water to keep the ants away.

Respected Contributor
I have a small farm...and had chickens. When ants would come into the coops I used plain grits. It kept the ants away, and didn't harm the chickens. Just sprinkle the grits around. Heard about it from other farmers on homesteading.