Honored Contributor

Another question from my daughter

amy's water lillies in small pond.jpg

amy's water lillies.jpg

These grow in a small-ish man-made pond. She thinks they are water lillies and says that a lot did not bloom this year, but are now tall and falling over. Should she cut them back or just leave them alone. She said they were over 5' tall at their peak, but wonders what she should do with them now. 

Thanks for any help, I have never had water plants of any kind.

"To each their own, in all things".
Respected Contributor

Re: Another question from my daughter

@Snicks1

I believe it is a lily of some variety, but not what most visualize as a water lily.  Whether she can/should prune it back would depend upon her climate.  It appears to be thriving and I would hate for her to do something that would jeopardize the plant.  

Whether it should remain planted in water is also questionable.  Can she take the picture to a garden center who can help her get a better identification and recommendation for care?  And there is probably a possibility for division

Honored Contributor

@Allegheny, I will pass along the info you have shared. She lives in Virginia, so the climate is different where I live and as I said, I've never had any type of water plants, so could not help her out on this question.
Honored Contributor

They are definitely not water lilies. I suspect they're water iris. Water iris are a bog plant that grows in that manner with the same type of foliage.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Respected Contributor

@gardenman 

Thank you for responding to @Snicks1.   A water iris never crossed my mind.

Honored Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

They are definitely not water lilies. I suspect they're water iris. Water iris are a bog plant that grows in that manner with the same type of foliage.

@gardenman, thanks, I have never seen water iris. So what should she do with them this fall? I will pass along your info also. Thanks again

Honored Contributor

@Snicks1 wrote:

@gardenman wrote:

@gardenman, thanks, I have never seen water iris. So what should she do with them this fall? I will pass along your info also. Thanks again

Water iris are really tough plants. They require no special care. I had some a few years back and they tried to take over the pond so I got rid of them. I had them for several years and they were pretty much indestructible.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

@gardenman, thank you, I'll pass the info on. I appreciate this.
Contributor

This looks like my Daylilies and you can plant them around ponds and water. Look them up. You can divide them and plant them elsewhere.

Honored Contributor

I just saw this plant at a MD rest stop on I-95 near the building. I thought they were daylilies that didn't open properly. Now will have to google water iris.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼