Valued Contributor

Re: Another hummingbird problem, really "ME" problem

#depglass I would try soaking the pan in vinegar. It may take a while.

Respected Contributor

I never cook the sugar in with the water.  I boil water 1st, then stir in the sugar until dissolved.   The ratio is :4 cups of tap water, add 1 cup of pure sugar cane, (plain white sugar)...stir, and let cool at room temperature.    I've had so many hummingbirds this years, im boiling up 16 cups of water...again, 1 cup of sugar for every 4 cups.  I'm keeping the feeders clean about 2x a week,  and top off the nectar each morning.    I wash with Dawn detergent,  rinse extremely well, and all the holes are piped clean with a little spiral brush. A pipe cleaner works good too. Just make sure everything is rinsed thoroughly. 

My problem here this year is the yellow jacks...fighting the hummingbirds off.  I have 3 wasp traps out, and they're full.  Not too fun. Alot of maintenance this year.

Honored Contributor

I have only been partially filling my feeders and replacing the mixture ever couple of days since it's been in the 90's all summer.  Just topping the mixture off will allow bacteria to grow.

Respected Contributor

We started the season with no hummers but now they are arriving daily!  I make my nectar by boiling four cups of water and then pouring it in a Pyrex bowl where I add a cup of sugar. After it's cool, I refrigerate it as use as necessary. I change mine a lot as it's been a very hot summer.  I use white vinegar to clean the feeders.

Trusted Contributor

@depglass I’m just reading your post. The mixture is just 4 parts water to 1 part sugar. No cooking necessary! The hummingbirds love it so much that when it’s out and we haven’t noticed they come to the windows to tell us! 🥰
Honored Contributor

DH finally took down the two feeders.  After a slow start we finally had a decent feeding season.  But I couldn't finish without one more tiny problem.  The smaller feeder "melted" in the dishwasher.  Oh well.  Time to plan on sunflower seeds for the winter birds.