Honored Contributor

Another Garden Critter (Skink)

That's skink, not skunk.  This is the biggest one I have ever seen in my yard.  Usually, I find the black ones underneath things, but this fellow was hanging out under the bird feeder, and wasn't particularly concerned about me trying to rake up the seed shells.  He flinched once, and then stood his ground as I carefully got the rake to within about 3-4" of him.  

Skink or Lizard.jpg

Respected Contributor

Re: Another Garden Critter (Skink)

I think he or she's cute 😊 

Respected Contributor

@Icegoddess , that is a new one for me.  Do these ever get in the house?  I have visions of chasing it around!  S

Esteemed Contributor

I have some of those king skinks around!  The big boys are impressive.  I have found they live in dens undergound, so now I know what the holes in the ground I see, are for.  They lap up ants.  Ants can be useful but they also get out of control so the skinks corral them to a better balance.

@Lilysmom1 , my next door neighbor had one in their house and it really freaked them out.  They're sweet things and want nothing more than to live and let live.  And to eat ants and other bugs.  BTW I just got a new phone so I will take some garden pics to share with you, soon.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

I have them around my house and one always seems to take up residence in my garage. My greatest fear, other than them actually touching me, is that he gets into the house. They're bug eaters, so I don't chase them away...just keep my distance. They're a bit too large for my liking.

Honored Contributor

@Icegoddess   Cute cute cute!!!  Years ago we had a pet skink, looked a lot like this guy. Stripes on his back, pretty much this color too.

Respected Contributor

For you guys with the skinks, what part of the country do you live in, if you would like to tell me?

Respected Contributor

@catter70 , coastal SC for me. They and glass lizards are pretty prolific here. Guessing they hibernate underground during the winter because I only see them when it's hot.

Trusted Contributor

I love these lizards....have them all over my garden and patio here in FL. They keep the bug population under control without my needing to use chemical sprays. I also think they're cute and are perfectly harmless. Once in awhile one comes visiting in my sunroom, but I just catch him in my aquarium net and back outside he goes. 

Esteemed Contributor

Hi, @catter70 , me and the skinks are in the piedmont of Virginia.  Near the Shenandoah Vally and at the base of the Bull Run mountains.

Cogito ergo sum