Respected Contributor

All-purpose plant food

[ Edited ]

I bought a potted gerbera daisy, and the care tag says to feed every two weeks with an all-purpose plant food.  What would be a good one to purchase?  TIA!

ETA:  Years and years ago, my MIL said Schultz was the best but am wondering about other products.

Honored Contributor

There are many fertilizers on the market but I stuck with good old Miracle Grow.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: All-purpose plant food

[ Edited ]

I agree @Kachina624, but every two weeks would be a lot.  Maybe 1/2 strength every two weeks?

I've never had luck with gerbers, but hope you do! @Ainhisg  They are so pretty.

Respected Contributor

@Another new name Sue wrote:

I agree @Kachina624, but every two weeks would be a lot.  Maybe 1/2 strength every to weeks?

I've never had luck with gerbers, but hope you do! @Ainhisg  They are so pretty.

Hoo boy.  I've never had these, so we will see.  I know they need a lot of sun, and the instructions said to water when the top inch of soil is dry.  

Honored Contributor

I also use Miracle-Gro, both their all purpose plant food and their lawn food, with great results for both.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Frequent Contributor

Re: All-purpose plant food

[ Edited ]

I like Shultz All Purpose over Miracle Grow!  Its formula is 20-20-20.  Unfortunately, it's not sold in any of the local garden stores or on QVC so I've had to order from Amazon.  So I agree with your MIL.

Honored Contributor

I've successfully grown many plants in my lifetime but never a gerbera daisy.  I don't even buy them anymore.  The last one I had, I brought home from the nursery, put it on my covered patio out of direct sunlight.  It was dry so I gave it a little water.  When I looked at it an hour later, it was limp and dead.  I think I set some kind of record for killing a plant.  Too bad because they're so bright, perky, and cute.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I have grown Gerbera Daisy’s a few times in pots.

My flowers would bloom, then the bloms would die back and I had to wait a while for more and they would all arrive at one time again.  I use Miracle Grow too.

It was either feast or famine, but they are cute happy  flowers when in bloom.

Honored Contributor

Miracle Gro makes so many different "all purpose plant foods".

I would do a little more research on the gerbera to also find out what micronutrients it likes.   

I think any generic all purpose plant food is something like a 10-10-10, or as high as 15-15-15.   It also depends on your soil.

Super Contributor

I use Miracle Grow and sometimes Peter's - both are water soluble and easy to find and use!