Respected Contributor

Re: All Dressed Up/Garden Tour Cancelled

@PA Mom-mom @The whir shrub is Fothergilla, Mount Airy.  The flowers are nice but the real draw is the Fall colour of this shrub.  It is stunning.  LM

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom @Allegheny @Pezzie @Kachina624 @OKPrincess et al, our Highway was closed at both ends on Thursday which was very scary.  Nothing but woodland between us and the fire.  One way in and one way out.  Thankfully they got it under control.  16,000 evacuated, more than 200 lost their homes.

We had our go bags packed awaiting evacuation but thankfully it never happened.  

Our fire (950 hectares) is now under control but the one in southern Nova Scotia is not (26,000 hectares, the largest in our history).

We count our lucky stars.  We are expecting 80 mm of rain today and rain is in the forecast all week.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom1   Thank goodness for the all the rain you're getting.  💦☔️💧 Pray the other affected areas will receive much needed rain very soon too.

Maybe your garden tour can resume soon too. 🪴🌹🌷💐🌺🌸🪻🌞

Trusted Contributor

I'm so sorry about those fires, I feel so badly for the destruction and the anguish that you all must go through. I always think about the wildlife loss as well, those poor creatures must be so frightened. Your home and gardens are stunning, I can imagine that those who had planned on the tours must be disappointed to miss your Eden!

Critter Lover! (especially cats!)
Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom1  200 homes lost! How sad. Glad your beautiful property escaped the fire.

Also, the plant I was asking about is the one behind what looks like a small birdbath and hosta - photo number 1499. 

Honored Contributor

Here in Wisconsin, we've had two days of air adversaries relating to wildfires in Quebec. It's sad that your garden tour was cancelled because there would have been a lot of ooh's and ah's! I'm glad you provided us a sampling of what your visitors would have seen. As always, it was spectacular @Lilysmom1.

Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom , I think you are referring to Solomon's Seal, a tall perennial with white flowers...

IMG_1383.jpeg

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom1 wrote:

@PA Mom-mom , I think you are referring to Solomon's Seal, a tall perennial with white flowers...

IMG_1383.jpeg

@Lilysmom1  That's it! I've heard of it but don't remember seeing it before. I really like it. Thanks for your follow-up.

Esteemed Contributor

@Lilysmom1 , the gardens are a reflection of your hard work, and I'm sorry to hear that your tour was cancelled.

I hope that you continue to be removed from harm's way.  Here in the National Capitol Region (I'm west of DC by about 64 kilometers) it is hazy due to the fires.

Love the photos!  I wish I could walk the property with you and talk plants.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

@PA Mom-mom , it is one of DH's favorite perennials.  It is a shade loving plant and spreads within reason.  Here is a closer view.  It always reminds me of my father's garden.  If you can enlarge, it is to the left of the white panel.

IMG_1512.jpeg