Super Contributor

Anyone out there have good luck with growing agastache? If so, do you have any pointers?

I'm doing about 50-50 with keeping them alive this summer. I'm in southern New Mexico - they're a drought tolerant sun loving plant. The ones in the full sun back yard seem to be doing well. The problem is with the ones in the front courtyard that don't get full sun all day. I'm not sure if that's the problem or not, though, since the ones that seem to dry up and die are right next to ones that are still thriving.

The only suggestion I got from the nursery where I got them from was to try doing a soaking watering once a week instead of my current lighter watering 3 times a week. To me, that still doesn't account for why some are dying in the same area others are doing well.

The hummingbirds and bees love the blooms, so I'd love to keep them in the yard.

Appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanks.

Honored Contributor

@Wahoogaz wrote:

Anyone out there have good luck with growing agastache? If so, do you have any pointers?

I'm doing about 50-50 with keeping them alive this summer. I'm in southern New Mexico - they're a drought tolerant sun loving plant. The ones in the full sun back yard seem to be doing well. The problem is with the ones in the front courtyard that don't get full sun all day. I'm not sure if that's the problem or not, though, since the ones that seem to dry up and die are right next to ones that are still thriving.

The only suggestion I got from the nursery where I got them from was to try doing a soaking watering once a week instead of my current lighter watering 3 times a week. To me, that still doesn't account for why some are dying in the same area others are doing well.

The hummingbirds and bees love the blooms, so I'd love to keep them in the yard.

Appreciate any ideas you might have.

Thanks.

@Wahoogaz  I find that the plants that get half sun and half shade really thrive and look so much better than the plants in full, hot sun all day, but if they are in full sun, they need to be watered, can't let the ground dry.  Even drought tolerant plants need some water, though there may be a few exceptions.

I think most plants prefer a good soaking, then be left alone for a while.

Esteemed Contributor
I've bought them several years. I'm in zone 5 so always put them in big pots which I can move to the garage for the winter. A good soak daily, with an all purpose fertilizer weekly. About 7 - 8 hours of sun. LOVE the fragrance of agastache!
Super Contributor

Mousiegirl and Hedge ... thanks for your suggestions.

Honored Contributor

Re: Agastache Help Needed

[ Edited ]

@Wahoogaz wrote:

Mousiegirl and Hedge ... thanks for your suggestions.

@Wahoogaz  I fertilize one a month and that is fine.   I have over forty agastache in all colors.

Honored Contributor

Twice i planted them,both times they never came back the next year,i live in maine.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.