Honored Contributor

Advice please on how to care for this plant.

I was given this plant as a gift in June.  I don't know what it's called and it's amazing that I've kept it alive this long.  I don't understand what I am to do about all the dead flowers - do  I leave them to fall off on their own, or try to dead-head them as I've been doing?  The plant seems otherwise healthy.

IMG_4766.JPG

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Advice please on how to care for this plant.

@house_cat wrote:

I was given this plant as a gift in June.  I don't know what it's called and it's amazing that I've kept it alive this long.  I don't understand what I am to do about all the dead flowers - do  I leave them to fall off on their own, or try to dead-head them as I've been doing?  The plant seems otherwise healthy.

IMG_4766.JPG

@house_cat  I remove all dead flowers, helps the plant to grow more.  

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat

@mousiegirl is correct - everything that is dead or dying needs to be clipped because it will not come back to life.  It will make the plant look refreshed, after you finish clipping fertilize and water.  

Honored Contributor

It looks like a Christmas Cactus to me.     My mother had a bunch of them in her kitchen, and they bloomed for years.   Google for info!

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Respected Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

It looks like a Christmas Cactus to me.     My mother had a bunch of them in her kitchen, and they bloomed for years.   Google for info!

Mine never bloom at Christmas.

Can't say I've ever seen a yellow Christmas cactus.

Respected Contributor

It might be a Kalanchoe. If you Google it there are pink s and care guides. That's my guess.

Honored Contributor

I have one that blooms sporadically all year, a bloom here and there.  However, the bloom of this plan doesn't look like either Christmas cactus or klanchoe.  It does look like a succulent of some type so I wouldn't over-water it. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

The orange bigger flowers look like dahlias to me. The waxy pointed tip leaf looks like a kalanchoe.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@JustJazzmom

@birkin baby

Now that you mention the name, I'm certain it is a Kalanchoe.  I remember there being a tag on it at one point.  

I'm a city kid and don't have a lot of experience with gardening.  Other flowering plants I've had, like geraniums, for instance, were easy to dead-head.  I would break the dead flowers off at the node.  These, however, don't have obvious places to break them off. I will need to trim them with shears and I don't know how far down to cut them.  I guess I'll just have to be bold and experiment.

In the meantime, I will Google it and see what it says.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

This is what my Kalanchoe looks like. The flowers are tiny.

• Image result for kalanchoe

I do not think the OP's plant looks like Christmas Cactus either.