Honored Contributor

Advice of power, battery operated...

I am looking for a powerful, but battery operated, (no gas) handheld vacuum for the yard.  I want to PICK UP not blow grass away from stones and the sidewalk at my house.  The stones are large enough they will not blow all over the yard.

My husband is fine with just blowing grass every where, I want to vacuum it up.  Bringing out the shop vac is a huge pain!

Looking on line at what to buy gets confusing.  All I know is it has to be battery operated and of course come with an attached bag.  

thanks for any advce.

Honored Contributor

Re: Advice of power, battery operated...

Why not use a leaf blower to blow the clippings off the sidewalk & stones? 

Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

Why not use a leaf blower to blow the clippings off the sidewalk & stones? 

As I stated in my post, I do not like just blowing the grass around, not sure that serve any purposed except blowing the grass somewhere else...I prefer to vaccum up the grass clippings.

If the grass gets into the road it needs to be swept up so that it does not clog the sewer system.

Esteemed Contributor

Many blowers are also vacuums.  I have 2 TORO electric blowers/vacs and one other (name not instantly on my brain).  Bought from the Q.

Both have a bag that attaches for fall leaf pickup.  I don't buy gas machines either - but you need power from something..... so electric is your only other option.

Respected Contributor

A neighbor had one a few years ago. Can't remember the name but it was so slow he used to look like a statue just standing there.

Respected Contributor

I have a battery operated Black & Decker blower/mulcher/vacuum. Mine is probably close to ten years old and is 36volts power. There may be a more powerful model out there, but for grass clippings I don't think you would need it.

But a word of warning. The vacuums work best on dry debris. If there is moisture, like from fresh cut clippings, it can clog the workings.