Honored Contributor

Advice for replacement tree

[ Edited ]

We  had our appointment with the landscape company for the re-do of our front yard.  One smaller tree he suggested was a weeping white spruce.

The size of the tree is perfect but we do not like the shape/weeping of the tree.  We went to the nursery yesterday and tried to find something else we liked.  We  like the Serbian spruce but when I got home and read about the tree.... it will be to big in time, does anyone have a suggestion to replace the weeping white spruce?  We are thinking maybe 30 ft tall.

6A is my zone and we want an evergreen, nothing that will drop leaves.

Thanks,

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Advice for replacement tree

Thought I knew and confirmed by Google what a weeping white spruce is.  With you - hate those weeping trees, always look dirty to me.

You have to consider the type of soil you have...we planted 4 evergreen (Christmas looking type).............but the roots couldn't get through our clay dirt.   Slowly they just turned brown and never grew in height.

You need to do more research and from an expert who knows your area.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mom2Dogs  We just replaced a diseased 40' Blue Spruce with a 6' Serbian Spruce. We really like it, and it is a slow to moderate grower at the most. We love the blue-green shades of the needles and the graceful branches. We live in SE Pennsylvania. If you don't want something to get very high or wide, you may have to go with something weeping or an arborvitae.

Honored Contributor

@PA Mom-mom ..The Serbian spruce/was a suggestion from the nursery.  We think it will get to big, that is why the landscape contractor suggested the weeping white cedar.  I thought the nursery owner mentioned Serbian weeping spruce...I will have to google both names and see what pops up.

We have clay soil and the landsape contrator is aware of our soil.

I'm just afraid of the tree getting to big...we can't use anything that would look like a big Christmas tree.

Honored Contributor

@fthunt   Both the nursery owner and the landscape contractor said either people love those weeping trees or they hate them.  I don't think they look so bad if the are staked but those that are not, just hang in a very odd way.

The trouble is that is the size I need...not much else compares to that size.

Honored Contributor

I absolutely hate dealing with trees and squirrels and such.  I don't know of a tree that isn't a safety hazard, a mess in the yard, or something that gets too big on a city lot and uproots the sidewalks and driveways and foundations, won't let enough sun in to grow grass, etc.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner I tend to agree, but this tree will be in the front landscape away from the drive way an far enough from the house to not create an issue...We have removed a couple of trees for the reasons you mentioned.

Honored Contributor

If you have a nursery you like, you might get a recommendation there.  I was looking for a replacement for a Sugar Maple that died several years ago.  I wanted one that would eventually get large and shade our west-facing front.  I saw a tree on the walking greenway that I liked.  I went to the nursery and discussed it with the owner and he suggested a Black Gum instead.  It's not providing shade yet, but it's a handsome tree and gets red foliage in the fall.

Also, I had been eyeing some evergreen tall but narrow shrubs next to a neighbors house. I took pics and took it in to my nursery man.  He identified it as a podocarpus and mentioned that it was only good to zone 8, we're zone 7b.  I needed something tall but narrow because it was to fill in a very narrow bed between the driveway and the two-story house.  We have had a couple of hard winters and the neighbor's shrubs are still fine, but the nursery man suggested another similar type shrub that is good in our zone.  I have been very happy with the three that I bought.  

Honored Contributor

When we moved into our home over 30 years ago we removed 2 blue spruces. One was too close to the driveway & over time had lost needles on the bottom because of car doors hitting it. The other spruce blocked our view from our living room windows. 

If you have the space, look at a blue spruce. Other neighbors had them on their front lawns & they get about 30' high & maybe 15' wide. 

When Sandy superstorm hit here, many neighbors lost their spruces because of those winds. I counted 3 that all fell over in the same direction. 

Google small stature evergreens & see what comes up.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mom2Dogs    Perhaps @Lilysmom1  will see and respond.  She lives in a similar climate and has a variety of the type of trees you describe.  She's the former Lilysmom who posts the gorgeous photos.  I can't get used to her new name. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment