Respected Contributor

ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND LILY OF THE VALLEY?

Went to three garden centers,  nothing around, or even seeds.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: ANYONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND LILY OF THE VALLEY?

[ Edited ]

Did you ask  your nursery to order  them for you ?  The  family run nursery, I have  dealt  with   has done many special orders for me  seek out any local gardening groups , ladies clubs . My experience in the past is that some gardeners  swap or share plants , all you have to do is ask or donate.  You may want to check with a local community college as they may be teaching a Master Gardeners class  and know  of local horticulture groups.

Esteemed Contributor

Google plants - my favorite  Proven Winners

I saw a picture of them - assume plants not seeds but I didn't click for more information.

I've never seen them available at local garden centers - never.

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin  If you live near me I would be happy to give you some Smiley Happy We have white and purple. They tend to be invasive, so we dug out a bunch last year and gave them to our neighbor. You can order them from Amazon and also from Brecks or other garden catalogs, like Burpee.

Honored Contributor

Lily of the Valley is a wildflower so I doubt most big box garden centers would carry it.  Do you have a Wildflower Society in your area?  I think that is where I got mine.  They have some sort of sale every year where members donate some of their plants since it's illegal to dig them up in the wild. 

If not, you might look on the internet for nurseries that specialize in wildflowers.  There's one in my geographical region called tnnursery(dot)NET and they do carry Lily of the Valley.

I also have a local nursery that often carries different than the norm plants, although it's hit or miss.  I got my Indian Pink there, but they haven't carried that one in the last two years and it doesn't look like the site above has it either this year which was the reason I had it bookmarked in the first place.  I'm hoping mine comes back; a rabbit ate it last year.

Honored Contributor

Yes, they tend to spread aggressively so they're better planted where they have lots of room, like in a woodland setting.  Also, keep them out of full sun, or summer's heat will get the best of them and their foliage will turn brown and die back.

Online vendors like Breck's sell them bare root.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin 

Barbara King sells them on QVC.  

Esteemed Contributor

@Dazlin 

Years ago, I saw the "pips" for sale in a Breck's catalog.  In doing a search, I see they are listed as available at many places.

My local nursery would never carry anything like that.  Perhaps they are considered something you need to plant in the fall.

I hope you find some.  I adore that little flower...my mother did too.  We had them growing in a shady spot in our yard and it reminds me of being a child again.

Respected Contributor

I saw some at Home Depot but that was at least 2 weeks ago.

Esteemed Contributor

Don't believe Lily of the Valley grows this far south!