Respected Contributor

ANY TIPS FOR APPLYING BARK BUTTER??

I bought a jar of bark butter, and I find it difficult to smear on.  It keeps falling off the tree.  I used a plastic knife and also had to use my fingers.  Today it's off, on the ground.  I have mostly palm trees, and they're rather smooth in texture, but I got some into the crevices,  but it doesn't really stick well.

Honored Contributor

Re: ANY TIPS FOR APPLYING BARK BUTTER??

I haven't used bark butter, but have noticed that Wild Birds Unlimited sells bark butter feeders.  Maybe it's their tacit acknowledgement that bark butter doesn't stick well to actual bark.  For actual bark, I think it's best to do as you did - fill holes and crevices.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ValuSkr ....I just did some searching and there's many different types of bark butter feeders.  Even simple ones that can be home made.   So im definitely going to make one.   I had no idea....thought you just smear on a tree...but now I see, something with shallow holes, or a piece of a log, then hang it or attach it to a fence, tree, or a pole.  Can drill holes in it and stick the butter in the holes. WBU, has some simple designs. 

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ,have you ever used bark butter?

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

I bought a jar of bark butter, and I find it difficult to smear on.  It keeps falling off the tree.  I used a plastic knife and also had to use my fingers.  Today it's off, on the ground.  I have mostly palm trees, and they're rather smooth in texture, but I got some into the crevices,  but it doesn't really stick well.

never heard of it....does it get applied to tree bark.....or used in a bird feeder?  were there instructions on the package........

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack ,have you ever used bark butter?

@Dazlin   Yes, the birds really like it.  I have a wood feeder with round shallow holes in it that I use when I buy it.  I ordered the feeder many years ago from a man who made them and sold them online.  I put the bark butter in the feeder with the back of a spoon.

I don't use bark butter regularly, but the birds definitely love it!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

Sounds like about a 1" putty knife might come in handy.  What birds does this stuff attract? 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Look what hubby surprised me with morning 😀😃20220109_074040.jpg

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   That's perfect!  You have a very thoughtful husband!

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sounds like you can put bark butter anywhere that keeps it off the ground and allows the birds to get to it. I bought it once before our Backyard Birds store closed....I put it in the crevice of two trees and it was gone pretty quick. How do you keep the squirrels awayfrom it is the question.