Respected Contributor

Re: ANOTHER NEW VISITOR TO MY GARDEN

@Mothertrucker wrote:

baby possum.jpgI once found one in my kitchen! They are pretty common in Southern Claifornia, thoughnot  in tthe kitchen! 

Like you, I at first thought it was a big rat, becaue I had only seen adults before..

They ARE very cute when young, so cute, in fact, that my neighbors took it and raised it as a pet! It would sit on their shoulders..

Possums are gret to have around, they are naturlly resistnat to rabies, in fact, almost NEVER  get them, eat lots of ticks and things we dont want around..

They are North America's only marsupial, and they have a prehensile tail..

I am a fan!

@Mothertrucker  Thank you for being a fan of the opossum, I too, am a big fan.  I had one winter in my small shed that is over my basement steps.  I put food and water in the shed so she would not have to forage too much because their little pink toes can get frostbitten in snow/ice.  She made it through the winter and went her merry way....  

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@feline groovy Thank you very much... I've shown the cute babies to some people today... I just love them Heart

-Do Not Copy Pls-
Respected Contributor

We get plenty of possums here in Florida.   We trap and remove them, as they spread diseases.   Their poop is especially bad for  horses if ingested while grazing.  Horses get a disabling disease from it.   I have horses on my property and at one time many chickens and ducks, so we dont welcome possums..sooo ugly too!

One night, one of dogs darted out the door and startled a possum right on my front lawn.  The possum passed out(played possum, if you've ever heard of that)...I thought my dog killed it.  So I started yelling for hubby to come out, and to my surprise possum started to wake up and run off!  That was a first for me.  I always thought that was a joke, but they really do pass out. Lol.