Honored Contributor

Re: ANOTHER NEW VISITOR TO MY GARDEN

EEK...........I woulda fainted

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@mousiegirl@Lilysmom  It is a once in a lifetime experience to see a Possum.  I saw one and it scared me at first because it is so unusual looking and they live underground.  I saw a fully grown one and it was pretty big.   They are more afraid of you than you of them.  

@Katcat1  I knew someone who had one sleeping in her garage and she fed it dry cat food.

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl wrote:

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@mousiegirl ~ An opossum!  They live in burrows, love to hang out in trees. and prefer areas that are wet, like marshes, swamps and streams.  (Love Google!)

@AKgirl2  They also must like dry areas such as this area, but there is a creek across the road.  They even show up in neighborhoods along with raccoons and skunks. 

@mousiegirl ~ I bet the creek is where he/she likely came from to check out your and adjoining yards.  When I lived in NY (Westchester County), I always saw possums in the backyard, there were no wet areas, but tons of trees, and dad's big vegetable garden!  

Esteemed Contributor

They may look cute, but they can be nasty.  Best for a person and dog to be cautious around them.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Mothertrucker wrote:

baby possum.jpgI once found one in my kitchen! They are pretty common in Southern Claifornia, thoughnot  in tthe kitchen! 

Like you, I at first thought it was a big rat, becaue I had only seen adults before..

They ARE very cute when young, so cute, in fact, that my neighbors took it and raised it as a pet! It would sit on their shoulders..

Possums are gret to have around, they are naturlly resistnat to rabies, in fact, almost NEVER  get them, eat lots of ticks and things we dont want around..

They are North America's only marsupial, and they have a prehensile tail..

I am a fan!

I was walking my dog very early last week..and he saw a opossum...! I told him that she was looking for food to feed her babies..I've heard they're very good mommas! My precious dog has learned to look at the bunnies, chipmonks and squirrels..and not cause any harm~Heart

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Esteemed Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@mousiegirl@Lilysmom  It is a once in a lifetime experience to see a Possum.  I saw one and it scared me at first because it is so unusual looking and they live underground.  I saw a fully grown one and it was pretty big.   They are more afraid of you than you of them.  

Yes..they are scared of us and will curl up in a ball and PLAY opposum!!

Don't cry for a man who's left you--the next one may fall for your smile.
-- Mae West
Honored Contributor

Since we are on the subject of possums, this large one came by to eat frequently in my back yard. 

IMG_1127 (300x225).jpg

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

@Bird mama wrote:

Since we are on the subject of possums, this large one came by to eat frequently in my back yard. 

IMG_1127 (300x225).jpg

@Bird mama

“Frequently” may be an understatement!  😄

We have way too many possums around here.  Too many get run over on the roads.  Those and armadillos.  And skunks.

Honored Contributor

@mousiegirl  Aww. That's a cute little one. I have seen many. Some young, some old, big and small. If you have any kind of food in your yard such as pet food, they are attracted to it. They don't bother me at all. They're harmless. They're also nocturnal, though you may see one out in the daylight sometimes. Not long ago I saw a giant one in my yard around midnight lol. 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Opossom, we have the little trouble makers around our farm.  I have to put my Oriole feeder in every night at dusk because they shimmy out to the tip of my pine tree brach and get ahold of the feeder and devour all the grape jelly.  We have draft horses and the Opossum poop can give the horses a death sentence if they accidentlly injest the Opossum poop while grazing in the pasture, it"s called EPM, and is a devistating neurological disease that can result in death to the horse.  We have had to trap them in our have a heart live trap cages and take them down the road to a wooded area and let them go.  I can't hurt any animals but won't jeopardize our horses health.