Honored Contributor

ANOTHER NEW VISITOR TO MY GARDEN

[ Edited ]

I took this picture from googling, but it looks like what was a few feet away from me this morning.  It was under a shrub, thought it was a giant rat before it scurried out and under the fence, so cute.  In the over thirty years I have lived in the area, I have never seen one before, have seen a huge bobcat, coyotes, skunks, raccoons, deer, all in my garden, must be a hole under a fence somewhere.

Image result for junior possum pictures

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Re: ANOTHER NEW VISITOR TO MY GARDEN

@mousiegirl, what is it?

Esteemed Contributor

You've never seen a 'possum?

😞

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom wrote:

@mousiegirl, what is it?

@Lilysmom  A junior possumn, larger than a baby, but not an adult.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

baby possum.jpgI once found one in my kitchen! They are pretty common in Southern Claifornia, thoughnot  in tthe kitchen! 

Like you, I at first thought it was a big rat, becaue I had only seen adults before..

They ARE very cute when young, so cute, in fact, that my neighbors took it and raised it as a pet! It would sit on their shoulders..

Possums are gret to have around, they are naturlly resistnat to rabies, in fact, almost NEVER  get them, eat lots of ticks and things we dont want around..

They are North America's only marsupial, and they have a prehensile tail..

I am a fan!

Respected Contributor

@mousiegirl ~ An opossum!  They live in burrows, love to hang out in trees. and prefer areas that are wet, like marshes, swamps and streams.  (Love Google!)

Honored Contributor

@AKgirl2 wrote:

@mousiegirl ~ An opossum!  They live in burrows, love to hang out in trees. and prefer areas that are wet, like marshes, swamps and streams.  (Love Google!)

@AKgirl2  They also must like dry areas such as this area, but there is a creek across the road.  They even show up in neighborhoods along with raccoons and skunks. 

Honored Contributor

@Mothertrucker wrote:

baby possum.jpgI once found one in my kitchen! They are pretty common in Southern Claifornia, thoughnot  in tthe kitchen! 

Like you, I at first thought it was a big rat, becaue I had only seen adults before..

They ARE very cute when young, so cute, in fact, that my neighbors took it and raised it as a pet! It would sit on their shoulders..

Possums are gret to have around, they are naturlly resistnat to rabies, in fact, almost NEVER  get them, eat lots of ticks and things we dont want around..

They are North America's only marsupial, and they have a prehensile tail..

I am a fan!

@Mothertrucker  As soon as it scurried from the shrub and I saw the white face, I knew immediately what it was. Smiley Happy  Of course, one of my little dogs went nuts, whimpering because she could see it but couldn't get to it, lol.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@mousiegirl@Lilysmom  It is a once in a lifetime experience to see a Possum.  I saw one and it scared me at first because it is so unusual looking and they live underground.  I saw a fully grown one and it was pretty big.   They are more afraid of you than you of them.  

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Katcat1 wrote:

@mousiegirl@Lilysmom  It is a once in a lifetime experience to see a Possum.  I saw one and it scared me at first because it is so unusual looking and they live underground.  They are more afraid of you than you of them.  

@Katcat1  "So, possums can climb trees but they do not live in trees. ... Their den can be an abandoned burrow, an underground tunnel, the cavities in hollow trees, the nests abandoned by squirrels, the crawl spaces under houses, some hidden spaces in buildings which are dark, attics, or any other dark space which they can find."