Honored Contributor

Re: ANOTHER BLUEBIRD NEST #3😃

@Dazlin wrote:

@NickNack , it doesn't matter when the last egg was laid...the mother doesn't start to sit until ALL eggs are laid, this way they hatch at one time.  Could be hours within each other, but usually all in one day.  But I get what your saying...I know you said you couldn't see in the box, so you're not sure when the laying was done.   Either way, it sounds good there because you see the parents taking care.  I'm excited to hear back.

@Dazlin   That's what I meant--when all of the eggs were laid.  That's what I meant by the last one.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I just saw the first baby fledge!  I'd noticed lots of activity around the box with both parents this morning.  When my dog, Ava, went outside to potty they divebombed her until she came back in.  It made me think that today might be the day.

I stood at the window and watched, and a head stuck out of the box for a while.  It finally flew out, and I couldn't tell where it went.  The parents were dive bombing a mockingbird at that time until it left.

I've been going back to the window to look but haven't seen another one.  I know that usually all of them fledge on the same day.  I'm so excited that I saw one.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  I'm soooo happy to hear this...wonderful!!

You are fortunate to have seen one fledge...enjoy!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Dazlin   I ended up seeing three of them fledge!  I think they've all fledged now because I haven't seen the parents hanging around.  I'll wait a couple of days to make sure and then clean out the nest box.

Edited to say:  There's still at least one baby in the box.  The male bluebird just stuck his head in there for a little while.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ...thanks for keeping us updated...its so amazing what nature does.  Such a pleasure for you to see the progression from birds to eggs, then hatch, then babies...then most of all the fledge of healthy bluebirds that have been endangered.   I thank God every time I see nature progress 🙂.  

Respected Contributor

@NickNack ,  just wanted to stop by and let you know the hatch went well in my driveway box.  Looks like 4 babies hatched.   Sadly I'll add, I don't know when I'll have to time to follow up what's going on here after this.   My mom has been in the hospital,  and just released Monday...so im busy with setting up care.  Talk soon.

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad it went well @Dazlin .  I'm so sorry to hear about your mom.  I hope she does well with her recovery.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack  Just looked near the box in my driveway and see a baby peeking out.  I think today could be around the 14th of 15th day.   I still see the parents going in.   I'm sure this will be the week they fledge. 

Hope all is going well by you and everyone else here. 

My mom is doing very well 👍.

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin   I've been thinking about you and wondering how the bluebirds and your mom were doing.  Thanks for checking in.

I haven't had any luck with the bluebirds and a second nesting.  I had house sparrows build a nest and had to get rid of them.  They are a non-native bird and destroy bluebirds and their nests.  When I got rid of them house wrens started building.  I had to keep emptying their nests from the box.  They peck bluebird eggs and kill bluebirds.

The bluebirds haven't come back.  I see the parents occasionally at the mealworm feeder, but even that activity has slowed down.  I haven't seen the babies.

-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

Ugh, I know the damage the sparrows can cause...that might be a good reason the bluebirds haven't returned to nest.   Hopefully the sparrows and wrens will get the hint and not return.   

I posted about a new nest here from chickadees. 

Things have been quite hectic for me with my parents,  but thank God they're doing ok.  It's one day at a time,  they are in their early 90's, health understandably failing,  but they're extremely independent and mentally sharp.  I also take care of my 2 yr old grandson.   My property, caring for the flowers and seeing the birds is a wonderful distraction.    Keep us posted...I hope you get more bluebirds 🐦🐦🐦🐦