Respected Contributor

ANOTHER BLUEBIRD NEST #3😃

I saw a bluebird fly out of the box I have in my driveway.   I checked it, and it has a perfect nest already and 5 eggs.  I had 2 other hatches in another box outside my my bedroom.   I wonder if this is the same parents.  They used this box in the driveway last summer too.  So happy they're here😀

Honored Contributor

Re: ANOTHER BLUEBIRD NEST #3😃

@Dazlin   Yea!  That's great!  It doesn't seem possible for it to be the same parents with five eggs in the nest already.  I wish there was a way to tell.  Which box is the easiest for you to see?  The one out of your bedroom window?

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Respected Contributor

@NickNack , I guess I would say the box outside my bedroom window is easier to watch.  The one in my driveway is easy to see too, but i either have to be outside front, or looking out of my dining room or front door.   I do have a small bowl of mealworms drilled into the fence post, which is nearby the house in the driveway.   But also top off all my feeders with a few mealworms too, so im sure that's helpful to them. 

Respected Contributor

• 20210510_190140.jpg
Respected Contributor

This is the house in my driveway they're in.

Esteemed Contributor

I love reading about the bluebird nests. We had a pair that built a nest in our bluebird house/box, and then one morning a few weeks ago, much of the nesting material was hanging out of the entrance. We've tried to determine what happened, but still don't have a clue. So sad - the blue birds are still around, but they never went back into the box.

Respected Contributor

@jannabelle1 , try moving the house to another area.  I keep mine free standing on metal posts.  Try to stay away from trees or fencing where a predator can climb up.   Keep it facing East too...maybe you already know.

My husband made a baffle out of a large plastic coffee container,  but you can make your own out of large plastic bottles or buy them.   He needs to put one on the box in the driveway too, but for now I'll spray the bottom of the pole with an oil I make out of essential oils.  It'll make it slippery and snakes don't like the smell.   I keep an eye as much as I can.  

Honored Contributor

@Dazlin wrote:

This is the house in my driveway they're in.

@Dazlin   Beautiful!

-Henry David Thoreau

Honored Contributor

@jannabelle1 wrote:

I love reading about the bluebird nests. We had a pair that built a nest in our bluebird house/box, and then one morning a few weeks ago, much of the nesting material was hanging out of the entrance. We've tried to determine what happened, but still don't have a clue. So sad - the blue birds are still around, but they never went back into the box.

@jannabelle1   I'm so sorry the nest was destroyed.  It was probably attacked by a house wren or house sparrow.

-Henry David Thoreau

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@jannabelle1  Sounds like a racoon grabbed into the nest.

Originally joined board 12-14-2004