Honored Contributor

ALL PURPOSE FERTILIZER FOR SHRUBS, ETC.

I want to find an all purpose fertilizer to just throw all over my yard.  I seem to remember reading somewhere that 10-10-10 was good for that.  I have rhodies, hydrangeas, peonies, grasses, boxwoods, hostas, ferns, bergenia, clematis, cranesbill, etc. 

Anybody have any suggestions?

Super Contributor

Re: ALL PURPOSE FERTILIZER FOR SHRUBS, ETC.

Call or go to your local nursery.

Trusted Contributor

@IdahoGram  Good suggestion. 

You don't give a lot of information, @DiAnne.  For example, I live in the Mojave Desert, and our soil here is very alkaline and our water--which comes from the Colorado River--is very hard.  We have an average annual rainfall of about 4 inches.  For most garden plants to do well, the soil needs biannual addittions of magnesium sulfate (epsom salts) and soil sulfer.  In addition, a balanced fertilizer (where all the numbers are the same) is fine for woody shrubs, lawns, ferns and the like, but flowering shrubs and plants benefit from food with a higher phosphate (the middle number) ratio to encourage bloom.

Best to talk to your local nursery.  They know what works best in your area.

Honored Contributor

@IdahoGram@VegasBusinessWoman 

I guess I didn't give a lot of information.  I live in the Seattle area with a lot of big trees and the soil is clay-like.  We used to get a lot of rain in the spring but the last few years it has been getting dryer and warmer.  

Esteemed Contributor

I've used Espoma's Plant Tone for 40 years.  It's always my first recommendation.  It's good for the biology of the soil, and it helps to increase tilth, which in turn is good for the plants.  

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

A 10-10-10 or a 5-10-5 are generally okay all around fertilizers. The three numbers stand for nitrogen (good for leafy green growth), phosphorous (good for strong healthy root systems), and potassium (helps with flower production and overall plant health.) For flowering plants you typically prefer more potassium and less nitrogen where for lawns you prefer more nitrogen and less potassium. Whatever you use, just don't overdo it. I would recommend using half to two thirds the recommended amount until you see how the plants respond. Unless you're growing in pure sand, there's some nutrients already in the soil and fertilizer is one of those things where more isn't always better.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Honored Contributor

I was going to say that, when it comes to fertilizer, one size does not fit all.  But Plant-tone from Espoma is a pretty good start.  However, if it was me, I would put compost (leaf or mushroom) in the gardens. Holly-tone around acid-loving plants (like azalea and rhodo), and something organic on the lawn (see big box store).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I use Plant Tone by Espoma for my perennials and shrubs and the Rose Tone for my roses. I feed the perennials in the spring and the roses get fed monthly while in bloom. Figure around a half cup of the fertilizer around each plant depending on its size. If its a big shrub adjust up accordingly. I try to apply fertilizer when there is rain in the forecast so it gets washed into the soil right away. You can also scratch the soil after you apply it to get it closer to the plants.

Rhodies, azaleas, boxwoods and hydrangeas can benefit from their Holly Tone for acid loving plants. I usually feed my peonies every other year. They thrive on neglect, unless you are installing a new bed (which I was last fall).  The top soil due to construction was at the bottom of the soil level and the bank run was at the top. I had to apply compost and asked the lawn crew to turn over the soil to a depth of a foot before I planted them back.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

@Sweetbay magnolia @gardenman @ValuSkr @JustJazzmom 

Thank for the suggestions.  I will definitely look for Plant Tone - I had never heard of that.  

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne  Good local nurseries sell it & Home Depot & Lowe’s carry it too.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼