Occasional Contributor

Re: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAqAGH!

[ Edited ]

Esteemed Contributor

Re: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

@Glittergal  True. I give the snails my size 9 foot ~ works every time. Salt works on the slugs.

Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea-Robert A. Heinlein
Respected Contributor

@MildredM wrote:

They pay a lot of money for these in France as they eat them and supplies are running short.  I always found some humor in this.

Woman Very HappyWoman Very HappyWoman Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@pattypeep wrote:

@Glittergal  True. I give the snails my size 9 foot ~ works every time. Salt works on the slugs.

eeeeeeeeeeeeek! doesn't the crunch make you sick?

Speaking of slugs and salt, there's a cartoon from a famous cartoonist (so of couse I can't remember his name) of an empty car at the edge of The Great Salt Lake and the caption is, "Another disasterous slug vacation"

Honored Contributor

Slugs prefer dead and dying stuff over healthy plants, so when I pull weeds I leave them near my more slug-prone plants. The slugs eat up the weeds and leave my better plants alone. I don't know if I've trained the slugs to eat weeds, or if the slugs have trained me to feed them weeds, but it works for me. The garden can look a tick messier, but my plants are happy, the slugs are happy, and I'm happy.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Valued Contributor

I think that is awful honestly.

Esteemed Contributor

Put out a toad home. Don't they eat those?

Esteemed Contributor

@gardenman wrote:

Slugs prefer dead and dying stuff over healthy plants, so when I pull weeds I leave them near my more slug-prone plants. The slugs eat up the weeds and leave my better plants alone. I don't know if I've trained the slugs to eat weeds, or if the slugs have trained me to feed them weeds, but it works for me. The garden can look a tick messier, but my plants are happy, the slugs are happy, and I'm happy.

^^^^. This.  Some people think my garden is "shaggy" but that is precisely what keeps it healthy and thriving.  Nature does not exist in a manicured vacuum.

Cogito ergo sum
Respected Contributor

This works. A few years ago I sounded JUST like you....snails had overtaken my deck and eating all my beautiful plants almost overnight. I found this in an old gardening book. Get yourself a bunch of rolls of pennies and sprinkle them all around where the snails are. At first I didn't notice anything but gradually (added more pennies when I though of it) they split! Now a few years later NO SNAILS at all on deck! It's amazing! GONE! They totally avoid the area and the pennies look real pretty at first, all shiney, then fade and you don't notice them. This is one of those problems that if you throw money at it....it WORKS! (and cheap). One of the best gardening tips I ever got. Good luck!

Honored Contributor

Probably need the wheat plant pennies as they contain more copper than the newer pennies. 

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼