Super Contributor

A question about small succulent plants

Good afternoon My sister for Christmas have me a tray with three small tin pots for plants. I thought I would do succulents. I don’t have much experience with them Is it better to leave them in the small plastic containers they come in or take them out and fill my tin pots with dirt and add them. The tin pots have no drainage the typical nursery pots do. Thanks for any advise
Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: A question about small succulent plants

Sorry.I meant advice
Honored Contributor

Succulents should be in pots with drainage holes, preferably clay pots.  Use cactus / succulent potting mix, which drains better than regular mix; you can find it at Home Depot or most big boxes.

Honored Contributor

Find a large nail and punch some holes in the bottom of your tin pots.   Succulents must have good drainage and should be kept on the dry side.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

I agree, the most important thing with succulents is good draining and DON'T over water.

I put small pebbles in the bottom of my succulent pots with drainage holes, underneath the succulent potting mix.

If you're setting their containers in a decorative pot with no drainage holes, put some small pebbles (or even marbles) in the decorative container too, underneath the succulent's pot, to allow for an excess water to drain out of the plant.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I decided a little indoor garden would be nice since I'm inside so much right now, so I have succulents too.  I followed @ValuSkr advice.  Since I don't have a lot of natural light where I have the plants, I also got a grow light.  I'm really enjoying it.  At Christmas I got a Christmas cactus and that bloomed beautifully.  So far eveything is growing like crazy and I've never been good at keeping plants alive!

Respected Contributor

Good drainage, light and careful but scarce watering have been my guidelines. Depending on where you live, you can put them outside when the weather is suitable.

Super Contributor

I bought a half dozen succulents in small pots about 2 years ago.  They are on tray in small terra cotta pots in front of a sunny window.  When I first got them, I watched quite a few YouTube videos on succulent care.  The main points I learned were using a cactus potting soil and a pot with good drainage,  fertilizing once a year with a diluted succulent fertilizer, and waiting until the soil completely dries out before watering thoroughly.   Using a water meter to test the soil moisture has been really helpful for me, too.  When the needle points to the lower end of DRY, I know its time to water.  The worst thing for a succulent is over watering.