Esteemed Contributor

Re: A few blooms in the garden

@DiAnne, I do cut back in the Fall unless it is newly planted.  If I put one in this year, I usually wait a couple of years to cut it back.  

If your plant needs a little help, give it some fertilizer.  I just use miracle grow.  It helps.  Do it once a week for awhilIe.  I have a couple that are having a hard time.  We had two killing frosts in June this year and I think they got hit.  They are sloooowly coming back.  Their crowns are raised so I think they got heaved.  Time to give them some TLC.  I may augment by taking replanting and taking some from another plant. 

Good luck.  LM

Honored Contributor

@Lilysmom

Thanks.  I put a few in last year and because they turned brown I cut them back.  They are not really growing this year.  I will try some Mircle Grow.  They may just not like where they are planted.  I am off to a high end nursery in Seattle today so I know I will not come home empty handed!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@DiAnne, they are a shade plant.  I usually have them where they get morning sun and afternoon shade.  If you put them in too much sun, I think they turn color.  They might even turn green.  If it is too hot, I imagine brown is not out of the question either.

Have fun at the nursery.  I am planning a trip soon.  LM