Honored Contributor

One would think that Seniors buying Mums would know what they normally cost.  They probably have been buying them for years.

That said, many seniors are not hurting in these "challenging economic times."   They can afford to buy what they want, when they want.

Perhaps people want to send these expensive mums to a friend or loved one. Try to send flowers to someone for $30.

There is something for everyone at every price point.

Honored Contributor

I wonder if the prices reflect many requests for free replacements of plants that died.  

Also, Roberta's and Cottage Farms present all their plants as being special or unique, unlike those found elsewhere.  Of course, that's not true.  

Super Contributor

@millieshops wrote:

Price aside, plants grown by local growers are used to the local environment.  That's a big asset right there.  Even locally, I would rsther pay a truly local gorwer a bit more rather thsn going to the big chains that ship in everything from who knows where.

Yes.  Do not buy plants from QVC.  SUPPORT LOCAL GROWERS.  That is ridiculous from a mum !

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, that is too much money for one mum.  However, many places sell mums that are not actual perennials, they are forced for the season and, at least for me, do not come back the following year.  I have had a hard time finding perennial mums, but I'm sure they are out there.

Respected Contributor

@Biftu wrote:

Yes, that is too much money for one mum.  However, many places sell mums that are not actual perennials, they are forced for the season and, at least for me, do not come back the following year.  I have had a hard time finding perennial mums, but I'm sure they are out there.

Update: My niece found a comparably sized Mum at Walmart for $11.88.  Please be aware while shopping folks.  Many people blindly "grab and go".

Esteemed Contributor

@Reever wrote:

@Biftu wrote:

Update: My niece found a comparably sized Mum at Walmart for $11.88.  Please be aware while shopping folks.  Many people blindly "grab and go".

@Reever  Is it a hearty perennial mum?  I see mums at good prices everywhere, but they are only good for the season since they are forced.

Honored Contributor

I think people who want to send a mum to a loved one might be inclined to spend $28.  But people who are buying for themselves should shop locally; the price is so much less. 

Honored Contributor

Last week I purchased an extra-large yellow mum for $8.00 at a local garden center for a side table on my front porch.  I then purchased six small mums (2 each in yellow, pink and bronze) for $3.99 each at another local garden center.  I always look for mums that are starting to bloom and have a lot of buds on them.  $28.00 is too much IMO.  Support your local vendor!

Vintage wagon with colorful flowers against old weathered barn.

"Faith, Hope, Love; the greatest of these is Love." ~The Silver Fox~
Honored Contributor

@AnikaBrodie wrote:

Last week I purchased an extra-large yellow mum for $8.00 at a local garden center for a side table on my front porch.  I then purchased six small mums (2 each in yellow, pink and bronze) for $3.99 each at another local garden center.  I always look for mums that are starting to bloom and have a lot of buds on them.  $28.00 is too much IMO.  Support your local vendor!

Vintage wagon with colorful flowers against old weathered barn.

@AnikaBrodie  I do buy my Mums locally but they are not as cheap as yours.

Respected Contributor

My husband bought mum's for 7.99 at Home Depot. They are about to bloom. My job is to clean up the lose soil. Ha