Respected Contributor

Re: what is "giving up" to you?

[ Edited ]

@151949 wrote:

@SaRina wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

It is aterm some women use to demean a woman who has confidence and a strong self esteem where she does not wear things for others approval but only for herself.

ITA - women who are intelligent, self confident and strong do not need hair dye and MU to define themselves. However, women who are intelligent, self confident and strong are frequently the target of this phrase on this board. Apparently the those who are weak can only use ugly phrases to attack instead of being able to see another POV.

I just wanted to point out that women who are intelligent, self-confident and strong never have to be defensive....  about anything. :-)

My statement wasn't defensive - it was a mere statement of fact as it is on this board.

My statement was a general statement for those women (including a few on these boards), who seem to always jump in with a defensive or nasty put-down retort if others have given an opposing opinion of fashion or any other items.... my point being, if one reacts so dramatically to others merely giving their opposing opinions, then they are not secure with themselves... or their own choices, IMO. :-)

Honored Contributor

Well it could also be said that women who state they do not need hair dye and MU could in a sense have given up trying to look their best and just use the excuse that they are intelligent and self confident!   Its just another way to put down anyone who chooses to color their hair, wear makeup.  Neither is right and there is no wrong - it's just a matter of personal choice and some just will not accept it!!

Honored Contributor

Giving up to me is someone who just doesn't care much about their appearance. They wake up in the morning and do nothing to enhance themselves. They don't put much effort into conventional standards of beauty.

Valued Contributor

"I am always confused by this phrase  Is it strapping your feet into painful shoes?  Being attractive to men?  Is it tight clothing?  What?"

Traveler, what you described sounds to me like trying too hard. Nobody should walk around in painful shoes, it doesn't matter what the heel height is. Wearing uncomfortable, tight clothing also is trying too hard. Especially if one thinks that is what men find attractive.

Giving up/ letting yourself go is not having the desire to keep your appearance up. I think this can be a form of depression. Many of us have been there. I know I have.

To me, it has nothing to do with whether or not you dye your hair or wear makeup, there are plenty of women who are very natural and look attractive.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SaRina wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@reiki604 wrote:

It is aterm some women use to demean a woman who has confidence and a strong self esteem where she does not wear things for others approval but only for herself.

ITA - women who are intelligent, self confident and strong do not need hair dye and MU to define themselves. However, women who are intelligent, self confident and strong are frequently the target of this phrase on this board. Apparently the those who are weak can only use ugly phrases to attack instead of being able to see another POV.

I just wanted to point out that women who are intelligent, self-confident and strong never have to be defensive....  about anything. :-)

*************  While women who are intelligent, self confident and strong do not need hair dye and MU to define themselves, your style is part of who you are.  You can wear make-up and dye your hair and be a very confident intelligent woman....OR...you can choose to go without makeup and let your hair go gray and be a very confident intelligent woman. It's all how you feel about yourself and shouldn't be about what others think. It's really not about "giving up" anything you don't want to give up. 

Trusted Contributor

Or it could be a temporary reaction to some real or imagined trauma. A painful break up or death of a love one. I sure all people go through a "who cares anymore" phase. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Pook wrote:

Well it could also be said that women who state they do not need hair dye and MU could in a sense have given up trying to look their best and just use the excuse that they are intelligent and self confident!   Its just another way to put down anyone who chooses to color their hair, wear makeup.  Neither is right and there is no wrong - it's just a matter of personal choice and some just will not accept it!!

And some are living in "denial" trying to convince themselves!

Valued Contributor

I've heard the term letting yourself go more often. I usually think of no more shaving, not caring about your weight, & appearance too. 

Honored Contributor

@IMissSuperPoke wrote:

I've heard the term letting yourself go more often. I usually think of no more shaving, not caring about your weight, & appearance too. 

On this board you have to wear 15 layers of skin care & makeup - dye your hair and be anorexic to avoid being told you have given up. It's really pathetic.

Esteemed Contributor

proof!