Trusted Contributor

Re: what french women are/are not wearing this fall

I have a passion for fashion history, so I have been interested all my life in what women all over the world wear. I incorporate bits and pieces of inspiration into my style. I love to stay open to many flights of fancy regarding fashion.

Esteemed Contributor

Lots of cute styles!  There used to be a poster who went to Paris once a year and always wrote about the trends and fashion styles that she noticed while there.  It was always interesting to me.  I think her username was Vivian but I didn't really know or interact with her.  I actually had forgotten all about her until I saw this topic.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Honored Contributor

@CANDLEQUEEN   I was thinking the same thing especially the blazers/jackets and over coats. I have a closet full of all of these and lately been thinking seriously to purge some of everything.

After seeing these fashions I just may need to re-think and start wearing soon!

Honored Contributor

Classics are called that for a reason; they'll always be in style.

On a different note:

There is a YouTube channel that is set up so you can see what women are wearing in Paris, in London, in Rome...all over Europe. The person films with their camera/phone and just records everyday citizens so you can see the sense of style vs a photo-shoot done by pros.

I have to say, I've yet to be impressed by anything I've seen. It looks the same as what I see when I'm in a city on the East Coast. Including very thin to very obese; bad taste; outfits that make you wonder what they were thinking. In the end, it comes across that people, overall, dress and look the same all over the world UNLESS they're in some type of a planned video/photo shoot.

Honored Contributor

@jellyBEAN wrote:

I enjoy reading and learning about what women in the European countries are wearing - but nothing surprising here.  Interesting that the brands shown are Ferragamo, Khaite, and some other really pricey stuff - French women can't all be rich can they?

A lot of the don't 's don't fit into my lifestyle anymore.  Leather pants are really impractical unless you get a black pair and never ever have them cleaned.  Once their dry-cleaned they are never the same.  And they can bag out and be saggy in the rear area after a few wearings.  Was hard to tell what season they were focusing on - coats for winter or florals for summer, but I guess it was just an overall picture of what the French sense of style is.  All the models looked nicely dressed.

@jellyBEAN   The article was entitled "fall."
Honored Contributor

@shoptilyadropagain wrote:

Lots of cute styles!  There used to be a poster who went to Paris once a year and always wrote about the trends and fashion styles that she noticed while there.  It was always interesting to me.  I think her username was Vivian but I didn't really know or interact with her.  I actually had forgotten all about her until I saw this topic.  

@shoptilyadropagain   Yes, I recall that.  I suppose she quit posting.  I always enjoyed what she had to say.  Another (I think it was Marilyn) who visited Austria posted about the fashions she observed while traveling there.

Respected Contributor

I think it was the shoes that threw me regarding 'Fall' fashions. Kitten heeled flip flops?  Thin strappy sandals.  Spagetti strap florals.  I guess Fall in France is a lot different than what I think of Fall in the U.S. even though I live in a pretty warm climate.  C'est la vie....Cat LOL

Flowers are nature's way of laughing
Honored Contributor

In the 70s, I had a very similar pair of lace-up fabric boots in the same light beige color.  They weren't short, but to the knee.  They called them granny boots back then.  And they didn't have any convenient zippers or easy ways to wear, just the laces in the front.  

At the time, they didn't seem all that inconvenient.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Trusted Contributor

I think it was I who reported on fashion in Vienna, Austria.  We go for three weeks at a time and always rent an apartment in a residential area.

I have always found that my Linea wardrobe fits right in, in Vienna.  In fact, others there tend to think that I am Viennese or from another European country.  I have even been asked if I speak English!

Fashion there is quite similar to what is worn in Paris: classic cuts and quality construction.  They tend to wear much less make-up than we do here, and you don't see too much dyed hair on mature women.  Similarly, less and high quality jewelry.  I did see young professional women in very smartly tailored suits sailing down cobblestone streets in spike heels!

The young, college age girls dressed much the same way they do here.  There are a good many international students in Vienna, and they all dresed much the same.  Very pared down make-up and simple, shiny hair.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz----well said--totally agree! Much like what ever the royals are doing---who cares----don't get it!!???