Honored Contributor

wearing a orthotic in my shoe

I have arthritis in my right foot ans it is causing me to have tendonitis. Not the heel as most get but down the length of the insole. For this I have been having to wear my custom orthotic as well as a heel lift in my left shoe to balance that foot as it has been surgically reconstructed and I can't wear an orthotic on the left.For this I wear my Ryka walking shoes all the time for the past 2 weeks. Yesterday morning for church I wore a pair of Clarks flats.OMG - the difference and the pain. Without the orthotic and the heel lift I felt unsteady and I had such terrible pain in both feet it was unbelieveable. I had to hold on to my DH's arm to get into church. It is unbelieveable how that little bit of lift from those orthotics can change your foot. I'll have to get an orthotic that will fit into my dressier shoes for when I can't wear walking shoes.

Respected Contributor

Re: wearing a orthotic in my shoe

Sorry to hear about your pain and discomfort without the orthotic.  I have some foot and knee problems and I have decided I can only wear what is comfortable.  Take it easy!

Respected Contributor

You may want to look into a more orthotic type (brand) of shoe.  I have flat feet, bunions, and Morton's neuroma.  I have been very successful with Birkenstocks for the past 15 years or so.  I also find Alegria (sold on QVC and stores) to be very comfortable.  I think the big issue is getting enough arch support with plenty of toe room.  Many shoes have just a big lump under the arch, which is painful for me, but a good shoe will have a properly contoured footbed, whether or not it has some heel height.

If you have a specialty shoe store near you (we have Terry's Shoes near me), that would be a good place to try different shoes to see what works for you.  After that you can buy online if you like.  Plan on spending a good buck for good shoes ($90 - $150), but they will last longer and serve you well.

Laura loves cats!
Honored Contributor

@151949

Oh, my goodness.  Can I ever identify with you!!!

I have been having severe ankle problems for over 2 years!!!  I am currently wearing orthotics (full) and a brace on my one ankle.  I am so disgusted and depressed.  I am only able to wear athletic shoes because of all of the "junk" I am trying to cram into my shoes and all of this is not comfortable at all.  My feet hurt also because of it.  I am constantly trying to find footwear that is comfortable.  No luck.  The foot doctors keep telling me -- what is the problem?  You should be able to wear most shoes comfortably with the orthotics and the brace!!!!  I'm like --- WHAT?????  YOU try it.  They are men and they have no clue as they usually only wear sneakers any way.  Any outfit I wear is ruined because of wearing the stupid sneakers!  That wouldn't even be so bad but I am still in pain!  

I hope you are able to get your situation figured out.  I am now getting ready to go to my 4th doctor trying to get this figured out.  And I am doing PT.  So far, nothing is being resolved.  

Best of luck!!! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

I am wearing my walking shoes with the orthotic and the heel lift every day and it's helping my foot with the tendonitis a lot, but is hurting the other foot. I called today to make an appt to go back to the podiatrist.I haven't had any pain in that left foot since I had it rebuilt surgically 8 years ago and I'm not starting again with it. 

My next step for the rt foot is to have to wear a brace on it. I have been down this road already with my other foot so I know exactly how this story goes.

Honored Contributor

@151949

I have been doing the same thing!  My "bad ankle" that I have been trying to get figured out is bad enough. The last month I have been complaining about my other ankle hurting, too!!!  What is going on???  The doctor and PT don't seem to really take me seriously on this or spend much time on it.  I am scared to death!!!  What to do if both ankles and feet go bad?  The PT says that it is because more stress is being put on the good ankle and foot.  I don't know.  It is most worrisome, isn't it?  I just despiste wearing the brace as it is not comfortable at all.  

Respected Contributor

@151949

I have had similar problems for years and have had to wear Ambulator shoes ever since.  These shoes balance me out and I can wear my orthodics in them.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@CLEM

What are Ambulator shoes?  Thanks.